Chapter Thirty-Two

While the rest of the family retired to the Highlands, Meredith and Harry didn't go too far north. It was a stop off in Edinburgh before heading up.

Edinburgh was a home to Meredith, where she knew she was safe. It confused when speaking about Jack Campbell, but she felt comfortable here. She knew much about Edinburgh, and while she wasn't a local, she felt like she belonged.

A few days wasn't nearly enough time to be back in Edinburgh, but it had to be enough. While she welcomed the retirement to Balmoral because city life began to take a drain on her soul, Edinburgh breathed in new life. London wasn't too rainy compared to here, and the last few days in London had been sunny and warm. Edinburgh was rainy with a windy chill, and Meredith immediately felt home.

It was back to disguises as the two walked hand-in-hand down the Royal Mile.  Meredith had immediately taken Harry to Edinburgh Castle. He had seen enough castles and palaces in his life, and she had been here enough times-- yet she came back. Harry believed it was just because she liked to walk with the people without someone recognizing her.

His blue eyes watched her in happiness as she wove her way through the crowd. An excited smile played on her lips, curling them up. Her eyes were alight. Her pace was fast. If it wasn't for her holding his hand, Harry surely would get lost. It was like being with a child, who was free for the first time.

Taking him into an alleyway, she paused, staring up at the tall, old buildings around her. Much of London had been destroyed throughout history, like in World War II, so it had been built back in blocks. Some of the old stayed standing, but not like this.

"You're not too cold, are you?" Meredith held both hands of Harry, looking him straight in the eye.

"You make me hot." Harry planted a kiss on her face.

"Good answer." Meredith kissed him. "Let's get ice cream." She pulled him.

"Of course." Harry followed happily as they went down many stairs and crossing over some streets.

They reached the Grass Market. Tourists mulled around, and Meredith led him to Mary's Milk Bar. Not once could she not to go to Mary's Milk Bar when coming to Edinburgh, and Meredith ate her ice cream in the rain. Looming overhead was Edinburgh Castle, always keeping a watchful eye on the city. Even as it started to pour and the couple hid under an awning, Meredith ate her ice cream happily.

"Where to next?" Harry asked when she had finished.

"You could decide," Meredith offered.

Harry wasn't quite sure where to go, but he knew where might make her happy. "I've got an idea."

Meredith arched an eyebrow. "Do we need to hurry?"

"No. We have a while." He kissed her deeply.

It was a march back up to Princes Street, back under the Edinburgh Castle and across the Princes Street Gardens. Walking across Princes Street was always dangerous with the number of buses coming and going. It was always jammed packed with humans too. Even in the heavy rain, it was hard push through the humans, but they made their way back to the main stretch.

"There is a faster and easier way of doing this," Harry stated as they pushed their way through the crowds.

"There always is, but fuck it really." Meredith kept her voice low when she was so close to everyone else. "Do you have somewhere to be?"

"Only with you."

Meredith smirked but her cheeks gave away in a blush. She loved when Harry spoke like this to her. "Aw, how adorable." She leaned closer and whispered, "Are you trying to get in my pants, your highness?"

This time a redness graced his cheeks. The flush went down, dipping below his jacket collar.

Continuing to hold his hand, Meredith led him through the crowds. If anyone stopped to look at them, they didn't notice. More and more people crowded into Edinburgh, even with the Fringe Festival still another month out. People liked to claim their spots early. Also, Edinburgh was just the place to be.

It did take forever to get back to Holyrood Palace, when Meredith chose to do her own thing. As long as she was free and happy, Harry couldn't complain, except for how cold he was. Meredith offered to make him warm again, and Harry didn't mind. Quickly, she had his and her clothes off, and the door closed behind them. Harry said he only had to be with her, and they did have time.

A few hours later, after a shower and supper, the two made their way back on Princes Street. Malone's Irish Pub, bar of ceilidh, had changed positions, becoming more tourist friendly. Meredith wasn't sure how she felt, but she went in anyway. With the loud music playing and people already lining up, Harry and her got drinks and took up a table.

Harry insisted on driving, but Meredith preferred to walking. He had his own "vision" and that was how,  he knew Meredith was going home pissed drunk tonight. His drink was just meant for her because her whiskey was already drained.

"For you." Harry passed over her own drink, and she downed it.

"Let's go." She grabbed his hand just as the woman began to speak into the microphone, giving instructions. Meredith didn't listen too much since she remembered all the moves from a few years ago. "It's all muscle memory," she said.

It didn't matter that Harry stood in the "male" spot because Meredith led easily. Every step she knew. Harry tripped over his own feet, and he managed to continue to step onto hers. Meredith was used to it. Anytime they danced, Meredith's feet were stepped on by Harry. After a while, it was just the usual.

Laughing again, Meredith turned and turned under Harry's observant gaze. She came back to him, and it was off again in another round of dancing. Her eyes came back to him. A mysterious grin flashed on her face, and Meredith set off dancing again.