prologue - newly edited.

Începe de la început

I had more of a willowy frame that bestowed me with a shortish or around average height of 5'7", the same dark chocolate-y brown hair colour as Connor that fell in loose waves down the middle of my back, but compared to his striking hazel eyes, I had dark blue irises provided by our father.

However unlike me, he was well-known around our old campus. His angular jawline once made it upon some sort of ranking list during his sophomore year when he, out of the blue, decided to join the basketball team. I found out many eons later that it was because his junior girlfriend, Stephanie, decided to break up with him through text message.

I suppose my glares were effective to an extent, once I noticed that she no longer hang around his table at lunch, and became arm candy for some junior football player. Although, a freshman girl glaring at her wasn't probably the perfect fear factor I was aiming for, but hey I tried.

It took merely one day of wallowing in secret misery, before Connor got some sort of vision of him becoming someone worth knowing through a dream. Those were his exact words, absolutely no joke.

Although, in this case I wish he would return to that wallowing phase. At least Connor was more mellow and silent then; he would stay out of my hair that way. I fucking knew that it would be a terrible idea to let him in on the circle (or originally one person orbit). But even I realized that the best, tactfully played out strategies required a minimum of one person included into the loop.

"Hardy har har," I spoke in a sarcastic tone; my eyes narrowing carefully staring at him. "Remember, it's a social experiment, and not a payback-for-stealing-your-cookies-last-weekend type of information."

"Yeah, whatever," he dismisses carelessly, before an incredulous expression making it's way up his facial features, "what the fuck? You're the one that stole my cookies?"

I calmly nodded, shooting a blank look. "It was on the table, without a name card specifying whom they belonged to. Therefore, it was a fair game brother."

"You know, I was supposed to be telling you to get into the car before we drove off without you, leaving you stranded here. . . but now, I'm regretting it."

"What can I say? Karma's cruel. That's what you get for pouring lemonade on my report card." I shrug lightly, before a cackle loudly erupts from me.

He splutters before slapping a hand across his forehead. A sickening sound fills the empty room, echoing off the bare white walls, and Connor hisses at the pain most likely throbbing in his head.

"Oh for the love of god, know your own strength!" I groan in frustration before earning a hard glower.

"I don't know how we're going to survive ten hours in the same vehicle together," he mutters underneath his breath, visibly shaking his head in disbelief. 

"We ignore each other's presence until it is needed." I sling my black leather jacket onto my shoulders, before heading towards the door, giving my room one last look. It was where I grew up most of my life, filled with late night sleepovers and journeys throughout a good chunk of my youth. 

Nostalgia filled my lungs before I had to blink back thoughts threatening to enter my mind once more. It wasn't the time and place for the harsh ones to lurk back. Today marked the time for  the start of a new journey towards discovery and explanations.

"Let's go. We want to get there before dusk."

author's note: lol i made Cassidy slightly different in this edited version, but i plan to unveil the reasons behind the social experiment as the story continues! also her sister got replaced with a brother - i noticed that it might fill in the plot better heh.

pst. . . i hope you guys are ready for a new book based on the central idea of the last one heh. it's going to be fun to write! lol i'm still lowkey trying to decide what the name of the male lead might be, if you'd like to help, please check out my author's note chapter! i have written some possibilities! (i might stick with Kai if i can't decide lol)

hope you all enjoy : ), once again, thanks for reading!