Chapter 13- Anja

The rooster (or should I say my new archenemy) wakes me up before dawn again. This time, I remember where I am and don't have a half-asleep freak out session. I snuggle deeper into the quilts and let my mind drift to last night. After we'd laughed our heads off, Kai had tried to pretend like it hadn't happened, seeming embarrassed he'd lost control like that in front of me. But I've added a huge, fat, green check mark to the progress box! I feel like we're finally moving forward. (On the downside, Mr. Braun might think I'm insane though.)

The fire embers sizzle behind me, injecting the house with their musty wood smell. I'm beginning to really get used to it. I should get Kai to show me how to build one. That can be today's win-him-over project. 

Inspired by this idea, I worm my way from beneath the quilt pile and dash to the bathroom before I'm turned into an icicle. The whole no shower thing got to me at first, but I have to admit now that baths are more relaxing. Maybe I can talk my dad into getting one of those Jacuzzi tubs with the jets when I get back home. In my email update to him last night, I reported that Kai had finally come out of his room and that we were making progress. (I left out any mention of the rooster incident.)

I emerge from the bathroom dressed in my hoodie, wet hair smelling strongly like sulfur, and peek into the kitchen. Sure enough, Mrs. Braun's already putting together the makings of  breakfast. 

"Guten Tag," I chirp as I help her place cheese, fruit, and thinly sliced meat on a plate. Do they eat like this all the time? Breakfast back home usually means pop-tarts or microwave oatmeal for me. Maybe Kai's mom is doing all this for my sake?

Carrying the plate to Kai's door, I hold my breath and knock. Music flows softly from inside, so I know he's awake. "Breakfast is ready." 

I let my hand drift to the door knob. What would he do if I came in? I'm certain there's more of his artwork hiding inside there. I turn the knob slowly, just to see, but it's locked. (Am I really surprised?)

For a moment, I start to think Kai's going to pretend yesterday never happened and return to ignoring me. But then the door swings open and closed so fast I don't have time to see anything inside and he's suddenly standing before me, almost nose to nose, his face mostly obscured by a wall of dark hair. Blinking in surprise at how close we are, he backs up quickly into the unyielding wood of his door with a loud thunk.

"Hi," I say brightly, not shirking away. 

He angles his chin toward the floor and nods, his mismatched eyes darting to and from my face.

 We stand like that for another few heartbeats. Finally, I move away toward the table to give him some space. I don't want him so freaked out that he returns to hibernation. I wave a slice of salami at him."Glad to see you're not still barricading yourself in there. Wouldn't want to have to eat all this deliciousness by myself." 

He snorts in dismissal, taking a seat and picking through the plate.

I sit, too, tucking one leg beneath me. "What's on the agenda for today? Got any more chicken coops that need bumbling around in?" (This, of course, is a joke. No way am I going anywhere near that devil rooster again.)

My question elicites a small smile as he peels an apple with a paring knife. His hands are steadfast as he drags the blade across the surface, creating a perfect curl of skin that winds down to his plate. "Nein."

"Then what?" I perk up. "Forest hike?"

He sighs heavily, smile gone. "Nein."

"I don't speak German. Does 'nein' mean yes?" I grin, batting my eyelashes to boot. I have an expression I use to get what I want that my dad calls 'puppy face'--big eyes, pouty bottom lip, and eyebrows nearly jumping off my forehead. I try it now, but the only reaction is Kai's brow furrowing.

He stops peeling. "What are you doing?"

"I... it's puppy face," I tell him. "Don't you want to take me on a forest hike now?"

"Nein." He sets down the knife. "It looks like you are sick."

"Thanks," I say sarcastically. Returning my face to normal, I flop back in my chair. It's the first time that hasn't worked on someone. Or at least gotten them to laugh. 

He shrugs. 

Snatching a twist of apple skin from his plate, I chew on it. It's wonderfully crunchy. "Well, what are we going to do today?"

"You," he points the naked apple at me before crunching into it, "are going home."

I roll my eyes and say, "Nein," mockingly.

"Your German is horrible."

"Your English is... pretty good, actually," I concede.

He lowers the fruit he's eating. "You're really not getting it, are you?"

"Here's an idea, Kai," I say, leaning forward with my elbows on the table between us. "Stop getting mad about me being here and just go with it. Sit back, have fun!"

He glowers at me from behind his hair curtain, only his pale eye peeking out. "Until when?"

"Until you realize how great it would be to come to California!"

He shakes his head, white and dark streaks swinging. "Ich habe null bock."

"Yes, you can't wait?" I guess, knowing that's in no way what he's really said. (A girl can hope.)

His eye narrows into a sliver and he enunciates each syllable as if I'm an idiot. "Absolutely zero interest."

I cross my arms, not backing down. "Give it time."

Pushing up from the table, he shakes his head again. "You're wasting yours." He grabs a jacket from a hook by the door and a long, thin pole. Yelling something to his mom in German, he pulls open the door.

I stand, too, as a rush of cold air comes swirling in. "Wait! Where are you going?"

He levels his gaze at me, looking as if he might not answer. Then he must realize I'm probably going to follow him anyway and sighs. "Fishing." 

      **Thanks for reading! If you're enjoying this story or love this chapter, would you vote with the star? I'd also love to hear your comments :) Keep writing/reading, everyone!**