11.

Jason stayed at the office as late as possible. He didn't want to go home because he knew what he would find- an empty house and and an empty heart. Michael hadn't said a word to him since their discussion, but he'd returned to sleeping in the playroom that night. He saw him packing up a few things from the bathroom as he left this morning. That meant he would be gone by the time Jason got home. And if he was gone, that meant everything he loved would be gone, too.

He knew the minute he signed those papers that he'd made the wrong choice. He had given him an out, letting him decide once and for all if he wanted to be with him or not. He was giving Michael the freedom to make that choice without guilt. But as he'd signed true papers, essentially giving up on him, he'd watched the expression on his face completely crumble.

Up until the moment, it was what he thought Michael wanted. Michael was the one who never talked about their future together in concrete terms. The moment he seemed to break down and say he's, he would commit to this marriage and this family, he seemed to take a huge step back from everything. After the funeral, he'd been more distant that he had been in the weeks leading up to his loving out the first time. It had become clear to Jason the the was pulling away now that Jay was gone. He'd assumed that in his mind the fame they'd been playing was over.

When he pulled out those divorce papers, his response to them had thrown Jason completely off guard. Somehow, he was upset with him. Because he thought he'd been conniving behind his back to steal custody of Luna away. That was hardly the case. Did he really think Jason was capable of seducing him , luring him into his life, then just casting him aside once he was able to secure the baby he wanted? They'd been together too many years for Michael to accuse him of something like that.

His heart had broken in that moment-what was left of it at least. There ha only been a fragments when he came back into his life and now there was nothing. Jason had given what he had left to him and Luna.

When he walked into their home tonight-the home that had been so full of life and excitement the last few weeks-he knew it wouldn't be the same. It would be silent. Hollow. He'd experienced that before, although it would be so much worse this time char he wasn't just losing Michael, he was losing Luna, too. He'd give the sweet baby extra kisses this morning before burying out the door so Carroll couldn't see his tears.

A rush of movement passed Jason's office door,then figure stopped and leaned back. It was Ava, with a perplexed look on her face.

"What are you doing here? I though you were taking some time away after the funeral."

Jason could only shrug. If he opened his mouth . He would start to cry. He hadn't told anyone about what happened between him and Michael. He wasn't sure if he was ready to say those words out loud. He'd spend the hours focused on gong over the San Diego opening numbers and orders for the next month.

"I am," he managed to say. Ava backed up and came into his office, sitting down in his guest chair.

"What's going on? You're almost never in the office. Things at home must be rough. Is Michael talk this sister's death hard?"

"You could say that. He's also taking the divorce hard." One the D word slipped from his lips, Jason felt a rush of emotion and heat warm bis cheeks. Tears spilled down his face before he could squeeze his eyes closed.

"Divorce? Wait. What happened? Oh, honey." Ava continued, holding a tissue out for Jason.

Jason reached out to take it and press the thin paper to his face. It was hardly enough to hide behind, but it soaked up a few of his tears and made him felled a little better. He hated to fall apart in front of other people. Ava gave him the space needed, thankfully. She sat quietly for a few minutes before she presses Jason to talk again,"So tell me what happened."