Mal, in her dragon form, roared back. She was about to breathe fire again, but the golden dragon uncoiled itself just enough to both block the doorway and bite Mal neck. Mal roared in pain and scratched at her opponent's head with her claws.

However, the dragon dodged the attack and swooped in again at Mal's neck once Mal put down her claws.

Mal roared again and shook her head, breaking free of the bite. She flapped her wings and managed to fly away at a distance the golden dragon wouldn't be able to attack her without leaving the doorway open.

The golden dragon huffed and snarled, daring Mal to come closer. Mal growled in response, but she couldn't do anything. XJ's dragon was too quick, just like the person who had manifested it. It was also much longer and larger than Mal's bulky one, making it almost impossible for Mal to win.

Mal was stumped and her mind went blank. She contemplated turning back into her human form to try and lure the dragon away, which was a long shot, when Evie shouted.

"MAL, GO FOR XJ! IF SHE'S DOWN, THE DRAGON'S DOWN TOO!"

"YOU'RE A GENIUS!" Mal shouted, although what really came out was a series of grunts.

Evie laughed as Mal turned to XJ. Mal's heart jumped into her throat as she saw Jay and Carlos on the ground. Upon closer inspection, she saw that they were still breathing, which made her breathe out herself in relief.

Ben and Loonie were still fighting, but it was clear that they were running out of energy, while it seemed that XJ still hadn't broken a sweat.

Mal roared and was about to rush at XJ when she felt something peck the top of her head. She snarled and looked up to see a vicious looking hawk.

She frowned. What was a hawk doing in the coronation hall? Had it flown in through the windows and doors? And why wasn't it flying away in fear?

XJ whistled casually, catching Mal's attention as she knocked the butt of her sword against the side of Lonnie's head, immediately knocking her out. Lonnie's form crumpled to the ground and Mal roared in indignation.

Ben was the only one left standing, but he couldn't do anything more other than deflecting XJ's attacks. He panted heavily and his footsteps became slow and sluggish.

XJ wasn't preoccupied with anything else anymore, unless you counted the large golden dragon that was standing in Evie and Jane's way. That meant that Ben was in trouble.

Mal was about to charge at XJ before she knocked out Ben as well, when the hawk, still flying around her, pecked at her again.

Mal growled in annoyance and tried to bat away the hawk gently with her claws. She missed.

XJ whistled again and Mal turned to see Ben on the ground, finally unconscious. At XJ's whistling, Mal connected the dots and realized that she wasn't doing it out of boredom. She was talking to the hawk, instructing it on what to do.

Mal made a loud shrieking noise at the sight of Ben on the floor. The floor shook like there was an earthquake and she charged at XJ, not bothered by the hawk that was screaming like an alarm clock and rapidly flying around her, hoping to distract the purple dragon.

Mal opened her mouth and got ready to breathe fire directly at XJ, fueled by the rage of seeing Ben injured. XJ turned around and smirked, making a gesture at Mal, beckoning her closer. Mal snarled and sucked in a deep breath - 

"GET BACK!" A voice suddenly bellowed out of nowhere.

It was too late. Mal had already screwed her eyes shut in concentration and was spitting flames at XJ. The hot air seared XJ's skin and her hair whipped behind her at the force of the fire. The flames kept coming; each one hotter than the last. They continued for a long while, although nobody really knew exactly how long.