Show Up

Hailey's POV

"What about this? It's cute?" Kels asked as she held up a dress and I shook my head at it.

We'd been shopping for an hour as I tried to find something to wear to my birthday dinner that night. I'd picked a cute restaurant in town, and needed a new dress after the fiasco that was our last night out. We'd left Ryan and Harry with the kids and it was nice to have some girl time with her since I hadn't seen her much lately.

"I wish you could have seen that nightmare of a dress Sam packed me, it was literally like something a stripper would wear on stage. I was horrified." I said, laughing lightly as I recalled it.

"I'm actually surprised you wore it, to be honest." Kels shrugged as she inspected a pair of shoes.

"Well Harry had planned a nice dinner and I didn't wanna ruin it, and he promised me nobody would see me. He gave me his jacket and even it was longer than the dress, that's how short it was."

"How do you go out for dinner and not have anybody see you?" She chuckled.

"He rented out the whole restaurant. We had dinner on the beach, it was amazing." I sighed at the memory and how much thought he'd obviously put into it.

"That Harry, he's full of surprises." Kels laughed as she held up a shirt and checked the price tag.

"Yeah, that's for sure." I scoffed thinking about the overdose of surprises he'd given me in the past few days. "I don't even know what to do with him."

"What exactly is up with you two anyways?" She asked curiously. "I mean, I've tried not to really pry...but you two seem pretty cozy these days and I can't help but notice that you seem to be sharing a bed."

I smiled to myself at her attempt at subtlety, and although she was failing at it I still loved her for it. Kels had never been one to try to stick her nose into my business, but she'd always been someone I could talk to if I needed her. She really was my big sister, and I supposed it was time I talk to someone about what was happening with Harry and I, even if I wasn't sure myself.

"I honestly don't really know what to call it...we're just...us." I laughed.

"Oh well when you put it like that, it's extremely clear." She rolled her eyes at me.

"I know...it's just not really clear to us so I don't know how to make it clear to anyone else." I shrugged. "We're just trying to let things happen I guess, not think about it too much."

"I guess it seems to be working for you. You both seem really happy, that's really all anyone wants for you." She smiled. "You're good together, you keep each other in check."

"Yeah...it's hard to explain. He just gets me."

"Have you talked about what's gonna happen after the summer ends?" She asked curiously, and all I could do what sigh.

It was like the dark cloud that constantly hovered over me, threatening to rain on my parade at any second. It's not like Harry and I were together and we had to map out how to carry on a long distance relationship in his absence. At the same time, it wasn't like we were nothing and he could just leave and it wouldn't be weird if we never spoke again. As usual, we were caught in some strange limbo that nobody, even us, understood.

"We don't really talk about it. It's not really something we do." I sighed.

Kels just nodded as we continued to browse, chatting about random things, before we both paid for the few things we'd found and headed back outside.