Letters In The Sand - Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen * Luke

I was trying to sleep when I heard it, the noise cut through me like a knife through warm butter. Eden's sob's were noisy and heart wrenching. I couldn't stay up here and just listen to her misery I needed to help her somehow. I crept down stairs slowly stepping over the creaking floorboards; my bare feet were cold on the wood. When I reached the door I paused and listened to the sound of Eden's sob's, I opened the door slowly and looked in. Molly and Lisa were asleep on the sofa both snoring noisily, I wondered how Eden's crying had not woken them. Eden was sat on the floor her knees tucked up to her chest; her face was buried behind a mass of chocolate hair. She looked so vunerable and petite in that instant.

"Eden?" I asked moving slowly towards her. I got no response.

"Eden?" I sat down next to her I reached out to wrap my arm around her but stopped myself; instead I rubbed my hand up and down her cold arm. I wished I could hold her in my arms and kiss the pain away but that would never happen and I had to live with that fact. She started to cry again, sliently this time the tear were falling down her face one by one I felt powerless to stop them. She looked up at me. Her eyes were so sad. I could not stand it I looked away, but it was not long until my eyes were transfixed to her face again. she leaned on my shoulder and sighed.

"Do you want to know what James said to me, when he told me" She sniffed.

"Tell me" I prompted

"He said I need to start anew, Like a clean piece of paper. A piece of paper with no smudges on it, with no creases or rip's in it" she looked at me with heartbreaking brown eyes, I looked back taking in her beautiful face.

"I'm not a smudge on a piece of paper. Am I Luke?"

"Of course not you're so much more than a smudge, you're a piece of art" I told her.

"Thanks for everything Luke" She said. I was about to ask what she meant, when she yawned.

"Come on" I said lifting her in my arms gently. I placed her into the arm chair and covered her in a blanket she yawned again and closed her eyes I watched her sleep until sleep started to push down on me as well. I walked out the room, closing the door gently but not before looking at Eden's face one more time.