Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

"We could meet at my house if you'd like," I told Jake. He tilted his head slightly. He was looking down at me and leaning against the lockers.

He didn't seem nervous anymore. He looked comfortable.

There were girls staring and giggling from across the hallway as they watched Jake. Every girl here has officially labeled him the hottest guy in school. Jake didn't seem to notice. He was watching me.

"I guess that works. But we're only studying. Don't get any ideas." He smirked as if he made a joke.

I didn't get it. I furrowed my eyebrows to show my confusion and he chuckled deeply.

"Of course the nerd wouldn't get it. Too innocent."

"I'm not a nerd. I'm just good at math." I tried to stand taller which made Jake more amused.

"Whatever you say Angel," he crossed his arms.

"Angel?" I raised my eyebrow. He didn't say anything. I sighed. "So are we meeting today or not," I asked. He stared at me before answering. "Sure, why not."

I took out a piece of paper and wrote my address down and phone number and handed it to him.

"Phone number too?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Just in case you can't find the house," I spoke simply.

"Trust me, I'll be able to find it." He had the ghost of a smile on his lips and I was tempted to take a step back.

"Okay." I said almost unsurely.

I headed to English almost in a daze. Jake had another rough day in math today and I had to walk him through it, but we didn't have as much time as we did last time. So he asked if we could meet today to start the tutoring.

I agreed even though I knew I would have to start on my English project eventually. I told myself I would get to it soon enough.

******

I took out my math notes and homework and laid them out on the counter. I grabbed my calculator and made sure it was working before looking at the clock.

Jake never actually gave me a time that he would show up. I assumed it would be right after school but that was an hour ago.

I sighed and pulled out my English project and a blank piece of paper. I started brainstorming ideas for my essay when I heard the doorbell ring. I stood up and walked over to the door.

When I opened it, Jake was leaning against the doorway with his hands in his pockets. I moved to the side and gestured for him to come in.

He stood up straighter and walked in. He looked around before walking toward the kitchen. I closed and locked the front door before following him to the kitchen.

He was looking at my instructions for my English project.

"Bible stories?" He questioned. I nodded.

"You obviously don't have Mrs. Walker," I stated. He shook his head.

"Nope. I have Mr. Payne."

I nodded and started to pack up my English stuff in my backpack.

"I know something you could write it on," he spoke softly. I stopped and turned to him.

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"You could write about the angels and demons it talks about. That's one of the most interesting things in there." He looked at me and we made eye contact.