42: Fifth Wheel

tried to make this long... but it's probably not very long bECAUSE WE ALL KNOW I SUCK AT MAKING LONG CHAPTERS but hey shoutout to my mom because she's reading this 😅 awkward hi mom

Madilyn's POV

"It pisses me off that he's not even acting sad!" I tell Haylee and Ariel as we sit at a booth in the corner of a Mexican restaurant. I was telling that about my break up with Shawn a few days ago, and they were listening to every word. Well at least I think they were.

"Madilyn, do you understand how stupid you sound right now?" Ariel finally says, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Um, no?"

She rolls her eyes, "You broke up with him, and you're mad because...?"

"Ummm because he's supposed to be sad, he acts like it's no big deal." I scoff, scowling at the table. The blonde and redhead girls are staring at me like I'm an idiot. Frick, I am an idiot now that I think about what I'm saying.. "Oh.. I get it now.."

"Yeah..." Ariel laughs, shaking her head at me. Ariel is that friend that is always there to remind you how dumb you are, yet she is the dumbest one of us all. Haylee hasn't really been saying anything, and I think it's because she's afraid to say anything around me. She still thinks I'm mad at her, and I kind of find it funny that she's afraid to speak to me because she knows I'll say something rude, which I won't but I'll admit a couple days ago I would do just that.

But, I've decided that I'm going to end up being her friend again someday, so why not now? "Haylee, you don't have to be scared of me anymore. Honestly you know I would never beat you up or anything," I laugh, and she just lets out a nervous laugh herself. "I'm not mad about the Cameron thing anymore, I don't like him like that."

"Are you sure?" She asks and I nod, smiling. "Good, because I have so much to say to you. Do you know how hard it was to not say all of the things I had to say?!" She asks, almost out of breath, and I laugh because I do know how hard it was for her. Haylee talks and talks, a lot. It doesn't bother me though because then we won't ever have nothing to talk about. "Okay, so first of all, I can't believe you broke up with Shawn! I shipped you guys, although I still think Matt and you should date. I know, I know you say it all the time that he's your best friend but that's how it all starts, doesn't it?! Oh, and I really need your help with this new pair of shoes I got, I don't know what outfit to wear them with.. oh and I need you to come shopping with Ariel and I next week because I need both of your opinions on my new style for senior year. Oh, and-" she's cut short by Ariel's hand clamping over her mouth.

"Haylee, I love you, but seriously shut up." Ariel says calmly, slowly removing her hand away from Haylee's mouth. I start laughing just as Jake comes up to our table. "Omg, Jake!" Ariel is suddenly happier than before, which isn't much more because she's always happy. Literally, always happy. Sometimes I'm jealous that she could be happy all the time, how does she do it?

Her boyfriend smiles at her and takes the seat next to me in the booth. Oh. Okay. Haylee and Ariel are on the other side, but like Haylee could have got up so Jake and Ariel could sit next to each other.. "Oh, don't worry Madilyn. We always do this, we have to sit across from each other so we can look at each other." Ariel explains with a big smile on her face.

"You guys are so freaking weird." I mutter, but they both heard me. It's not like they were offended by it though. I guess Haylee is my date for the night, since we're both single and Ariel is lost in Jake's world.

Well, I thought.. until freaking Cameron walked up to our table. "Hey, guys.." it was like these were his plans. He didn't just bump into us as a coincidence, someone invited him. I soon come to find out it was Haylee because she gets out of her seat and greets him.