Chapter One

Ayesha Ahkdir, The Meadow Near The Home of the Akhdir Family—Mainland Europe, Day 7 Before Flood

Peace, warmth, tranquility. The whispering grass danced lazily in the breeze, singing me a gentle lullaby. Laying on the warm blanket of earth, I couldn't see over the tall blades of green, but I didn't wish to. The foliage tickled my arms, soothing every tense muscle.

I knew I'd need to return home shortly. Mother would be finishing her daily flower deliveries and be on her way back to our little house. Oddly enough, these fields always felt more like home, despite the strong attachment I felt for my house.

This was my place--a blissful little meadow where I could relax. Here, I was completely at ease. Here, I could escape reality, whenever I decided it was getting a bit too hectic. Unless someone brought reality to my place of serenity.

Footsteps crunched  the dried leaves scattered across the path towards my home.

I cursed under my breath. Mother must have arrived home early. Few others would tread that rocky walkway. I sat up. If I moved quickly I could dash through the trees and be home before Mother saw I'd left.

"I'm so happy for you, Emese," gushed a voice that certainly wasn't my mother's. "No doubt it will be an excellent triumph for your family."

I peered through the grass to see who Mother was speaking to. I recognized the woman's voice, but couldn't place it. Staying low to the ground, I managed to get a clear sight of Nabiry Bithiah, the baker's wife and the mother of two of my friends, Rilda and Mia. 

"Indeed," Mother agreed, brushing off her fancy yellow dress. She never wore that when she worked. Only when she was speaking to someone extremely important. Nor did she ever bother to fix her hair, yet it was pinned back in a tight bun. Who had she visited?

"I hoped he'd show an interest in my Mia, but I certainly know why he'd look at Ayesha," Lady Bithiah admitted.

Hearing my name, my brow furrowed. I supposed it wasn't odd for two mothers to discuss their children, but who exactly was looking at me?

"Thank you so much," Mother replied. "I just don't know how I'll break the news to Ayesha... still, Amire Okrich is such a prize. She ought to be excited to wed someone of his caliber."

My stomach clenched. It took all my will power to keep from gasping and ruining my cover. Me? Marry Amire Okrich?

I bit my lip. Amire was a medic, several years older than me. I should have felt lucky...

My friend, Paltic, was given to a man nearly twenty five summers her senior. Amire had only lived eight summers longer. We were practically the same age.

Although Amire was known to be polite, we had very little in common. I had never met him, but the evidently attractive bachelor was often the subject of chatter amongst the young ladies of our village.

From what I'd heard, we'd be a less than perfect match.

He preferred an indoor life, and I would rather spend my life in a forest, surrounded by plants. Gossip claimed Amire wished for many sons to carry on his name. I wanted a small, intimate family. While the differences weren't significant enough to hinder a match, I didn't want to marry no matter how fine the groom. I wasn't ready to tie myself to a man and a life of child rearing.

I wondered if I could just run, make my way in the forest. A ludicrous idea. How could I survive on my own?

"If I'm being completely honest," Mother sighed, "I don't know if I'm ready to let Ayesha go... but what choice do I have? I can hardly make ends meet for the three of us, and even more so, Amire believes he can save Lalita."