chapter 9

Listen to:

Glen's POV

I was done with my English class and headed for my locker. I hadn't seen Sam all day. Today was Monday, the only day Sam didn't have classes. So it was a the only day I walked home alone.

Through out today, the only image carved in my head was Daniel Ashton. The events of yesterday had continued to play on repeat in my mind.

Its been a week since I had started working there again and all had been fine, considering I didn't spot him through out my working hours. Not until yesterday, that is.

I don't know why it was so hard for me to get the tense moment we had in the hall and those words out of my head.

Well, I'm making it clear to you now that I don't want you to leave...

And all I could ask myself was.... why?

So many questions had been churning in my head for hours now. Questions, I doubt, can ever be answered.

I gathered my books I needed to read and made my way to the exit door when I heard someone calling my name.

I looked around to see Mr. Barns walking over to me.

"Hey, Mr. Barns," I stuttered not really sure of what to say, considering I was in his class just a few minutes ago. I wasn't sure where this was leading to apparently.

"Going home?" He said once he was in front of me.

"Yes sir, do you need help with anything?"

He chuckled, "no, not at all. I was wondering why you haven't brought in your project. You know, the essay?"

Oh lord.

"Um...well the date definitely isn't due yet. School isn't over till next week. I'm working on it."

"You sure? You don't have all time. The Glen I know submits earlier than anyone."

I cringed and gave a nervous chuckle, "I'm just not seeing anything I'm interested in yet but I'm sure I'll get over it soon."

"Everyone surely has something," he paused for a while, placing his hands on his stubble before speaking again, "or someone?"

I didn't say anything as he waved and turned to go back in the direction he came from. I turned to go home quite dumbfounded.

As I hit the streets of Georgia, chill ran through my spine as I held my arms together and the thought of Mr. Barns words escaped my mind. Winter was approaching faster than I thought. It was still the last week in November and my teeth were clattering badly. I could liken myself to a shivering chicken now. I regretted not taking anything to shield me from the harsh wind that slapped my bare arms making goosebumps rise everywhere.

I needed to get home quick before the cold devours me.

***

Immediately I reached home, I wrapped myself in my coat that hung at the entrance. Dad wasn't around yet. It was still 4:25pm and I didn't expect him to be coming home any soon. He now closed his bakery at 8 in the evening.

I went over to the kitchen to make myself some coffee to heat me up. I was still shivering on the inside. My coffee wasn't the best and I would have gone over to Barks before coming home but the cold didn't spare me a chance.

I sat by the counter sipping my coffee. I felt a lot better now but the thoughts of what Mr. Barns said came hitting me again. I was so out in space, I didn't hear Sharon's voice.

When I did, I looked up to see her. She was standing by the door, her side leaned against the frame and her hands crossed with a smile on her face. That smile hadn't disappeared since last Friday; her prom night. I'm glad she had a good time.

"Hey," she said as she walked over to the counter and lifted herself on it before facing me.

"Hey," I smiled back.

"You know, I've been standing there for a while calling you," she said pointing to the door, "is something wrong or you just decided to snub the high schooler."

I laughed nervously as I tried to cover my thoughts up, "could you blame me?...you're a fuss. Besides I thought you didn't like me calling you that."

She laughed too.

"Seriously Glen, what's up? A whole five minutes of me watching you starring at your already cold coffee and digging into your palms? I know I'm stupid at times but definitely not dumb."

I sighed.

Not even my best Shakespeare lines could work on this girl here.

" I got this essay I need to bring in at the end of the semester and I have no clue," I stated in half truth. She didn't need to know about the disturbing questions about Daniel Ashton or who he was even.

"I hate essays," she groaned, "but lemme give it a try. What's it about?"

I smiled at her determination, "I need to write on something that interests me the most..... at the moment," I said leaning back on my seat.

"That's easy! I'm hurt. Aren't I on your bucket list of interests?" She said with a sullen face.

I laughed. I knew she was just playing around with me. She dead knew what I meant.

"Okay okay. I know I'm not and I don't know what you are interested in either. I'd rather be on your heart anyways than on a list but I'm quite sure you have one.
Anything....," she paused to get down from the table and started to walk around.

"Something you find yourself thinking about every damn time. Something you have some sort of attachment to.... You know, like me and basketball. Something that triggers a lot of emotion, good or bad. Something that you seek to find more answers about. Answers that haven't been answered. Something you want to break through and discover more. Something you have undying curiosity for...."

All this time, I had my eyes shut listening to every word she was saying and then when it clicked, I opened my eyes wide.

"You're right and wrong at the same time beanie," I said in a whisper more to myself than her,"it isn't something, it's........ someone."

I sat down on my seat in shock of realization as my nails dug deep in me. I gagged at the realisation.

This cant be true.

The next two words I was about to say was making my head reel rapidly in all directions and my heart beat faster than anything....

"Daniel Ashton."