{5}

It was late.

I had decided to stay later at work to get the extra hours. Jared had left 30 minutes after he got here. Alex and Tommy both left almost 2 hours ago.

It was 11:37. And the shop was closed.

I was wiping off a table with a wet cloth when I heard the door chime. Quickly, I look at the door, jumping slightly.

"Sorry we're clo-" I stopped and looked at the girl who stood before me.

She had bronze curls towards the end of her hair with blonder tips. She was wearing a pretty green, purple, and blue sweater dress with black leggings, brown boots and cream boot socks. The girl had a purple beanie on and had her one hand shoved deep into her pocket, the other was resting at her side.

"...Evan?" She says.

I gaped at her, "Zoe?"

"Oh my god you look so different from you're graduation!" She squeals and attacks me with a hug.

I gingerly hug her back.

I mean she is right. I did get taller and I have to shave my face like everyday because if I don't I'll look like a caveman. And I'm sure no one wants that.

She pulled away and smiled at me.

"Wow." Is all I say.

"Pretty weird seeing me after a year huh?" She shoves her other hand into her pocket.

"Yeah it is." I breathed out, "B-but in a good way! Not bad!" I quickly add.

She giggles softly and looks around the small cafe.

"Woah... so this is where you work, huh?"

I fling the damp cloth over my shoulder, "Yep. Pretty cozy."

She looks back at me and then my mind triggers a question I probably should've asked first.

"What are you doing here? Not to be rude or anything!" I quickly add the last part.

"No worries, I was texting you but you weren't answering so I texted Jared. Then he said that I should come over to your apartment, so I came with Alana. Also I came here to pick you up. There's no way you're walking in that freezing darkness."

I rolled my eyes at her last sentence, "Thanks Zo."

"Yeah no problem. You almost done?" She walks over to the counter and looks at the treats.

"Actually yes, I was just finishing cleaning up." I say, smiling and turning to the last table I needed to clean.

Grabbing the damp towel I started wiping the table.

"Evan?"

I quickly look up at Zoe, "Hm?"

"You're so different... well I hope you don't mind me saying that. Well maybe that's because it's been a year since I've seen you." She starts to ramble.

I smile at her and walk behind the counter and through the back door. Setting the cloth in a bin I quickly wash my hands then dry them and walk back through the door, so I'm behind the counter. Zoe was looking at a sugar cookie and something pierced my heart.

It's like I just now remembered that Zoe was Connor's younger sister. The way she was standing and looking at the cookie just... I don't even know.

I bit down on my lip and start to untie my apron. She looks up at me.

"Uh.. you want a coffee? I can make you one, and Alana." I offer, fumbling around with the strings of the apron.

"Oh no it's okay." Zoe says quickly, shaking her hands.