(2)

Ellie

Two. Fudging. Days.

That was how long i had to anticipate about the job, I interviewed and hoped for. Hannah made a lot of fun of my irritated state, i had the right to be irritated because i was so tensed about the job, and the point which was beyond my understanding was she was so sure about me getting the job. On the other hand there was my so-dear-but-sometimes-not-so-dear brother, who was never in a mood of talking about my job and he even suggested me to get the job at some other company, that was again beyond my understanding. 

I was sleeping when my phone started ringing at my side table, asking for my attention, I woke up, looked at the clock and saw it was 11 in the morning, i guess i slept while reading my novel very late so I overslept and my mother didn't wake me up as I am at-last free from my college routine. I picked my phone up after noting that it was from a unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Good morning! Am i talking to Eleanor Russo?"

"Yes. How can i help you?"

"I am Lily, Personal Assistant of Mr James. I wanted to inform you that you have got the job of Finance Manager at Maxfield Enterprise."

I jolted from my laying state and said, "Sorry, did i hear you right?"

"Ma'am, i am the personal assistant of Mr Maxfield. He asked me to tell you that your job as a Finance Manager starts from tomorrow, you have to be at the office at 8 in the morning. Just a precaution, Mr Maxfield is not a big fan of late comers. Best of luck. Bye." and she dropped the call.

Wait a second.

Did she say i got the job?

Like the job at Maxfield Enterprises?

Oh God! I GOT THE JOB!!!!

I squealed and ran out of my room towards the kitchen.

"Mom! Mom!"

"Ellie? Is everything alright? Why are you screaming?" My mother said, coming into my view.

"Mom! You wont believe what happened!"

"Ok, You look happy which means everything is alright, thank God, what happ-"

"I got the job Mom!" and I hugged her.

"Oh yeah sweety! I knew you would get that job. Congratulations honey. I'm so proud of you my girl!"

"Mom. I'm so happy!"

"You will be more happy to know about the surprise we have for you"

"Yeah! Where's my surprise gift?"

"Wait honey, You will get it on the dinner table"

"Mom! That is like 8 hours away!" I whined.

"You waited two days, Just 8 more hours to go."

"Okay! Hopefully its worth my patience."

"Oh sweety, it is!"

With a big smile on my face, i called my father and my brother separately to inform them. My father sounded like he could not wait, just like me, to give me my surprise gift, but in my happiness I didn't fail to notice the fact that my brother was not so excited about this news. Something was off with him. I decided to ask him tonight.

Spending my last day of freedom, before my job starts, by laying around and completing my novel was the best way in my opinion. I slept, read, ate and repeated.

Atlast it was dinner time and i was more than excited to get my surprise gift. I had a feeling it would be some jewellery, most probably diamond ring, as my family knew that i loved wearing rings.

I skipped to the dinner table, gave my father and brother hugs and sat down and looked expectedly towards my parents, who also abandoned there food after seeing my excitement. I was so consumed in excitement that i hardly noticed my brother getting up  and leaving the table, the moment dad started talking;

"As you got the job El, here's your surprise gift" he said while giving me a very beautiful white coloured envelope which had an elegant flowery design printed on it. With a full blown smile, i opened it and started reading out loud;

"We cordially invite you to the engagement party of our loved daughter Eleanor Russo with Austin Max—"

Wait a minute.

What.

The.

Fucking.

Shit!

"What the hell is this guys?" I asked, barely keeping myself together.

"Thats your surprise, El. Austin is the best guy you can have, he has everything that anybody can need. You have seen him, he is so handsome and he is so rich too. We have known him since his childhood, he is a very good guy. He will make you happy" said my mother.

"Mom! Dad! We are no living in some conservative era anymore! You guys can not control my life! I will not marry that womaniser! You guys should have asked me at least once before getting all hyped up and getting these engagement cards printed" i said while waving that deadly envelope in front of their faces.

"Elliot! Calm down! We are your parents, we have always wanted best for you. This decision is for your betterment, its decided."

I stood there, with my mouth agape, looking at my parents, who think what they are doing is best for me. For laughing out loud, marrying that shithead, is best for me?

"Austin? He is best for me? What is up with you guys?" I scoffed.

I was saying all of this but i was starting to feel my eyes prick with tears. I am not a type of person to defy my parents usually. This is just not what I'm like, i have always been a very obedient child who literally always thought that parents know the best, but this decision of them, is NOT something i will agree on.

"We are not talking about this anymore. Your engagement party is on this weekend. Austin will give you the ring before that day. Go to your room. "

Being the only daughter, i was very much loved by my father. He had always been my backbone, always supported me, in the house even when i would disturb Zack and he would complain, he would always take my-side. It was rarely a chance that my father would talk to me in high tone, so when he did tonight, i ran upstairs to my room with tears welling up in my eyes.

Zack was already in my room, sitting on my bed, with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. When i entered the room and sniffed, he looked up towards me and stood up. The look he gave me, told me that he knew all about this, i felt hurt that he didn't try to warn me about this, but still i ran and hugged him letting out a sob.

This was not the first time me crying in Zack's arms. We were like best friends to each other, though we had our moments but we just knew that we both have each other's back and we can talk about anything without the fear of judgement. Zack was always there when i needed a hug and just cry while watching "the fault is our stars". He was always there too, when i got scared at nights and went up to his door asking to share the bed for the night. He was the best brother one could ask for.

"Shh! We will make everything better!"

He always said that. He always hoped for better, never the best. According to him, we can never get the best out of this life, because we are never completely fulfilled, so what we need is better.

"Zack? You know how Austin is, how can Dad do this to me?" I said looking up towards him.

"I spent the whole week trying to talk Dad out of this decision, but i couldn't do anything Lee. This is one of those times when Dad is adamant to make this happen, and you know what happens when he is like this"

He always got what he wanted, that is what happens when my Dad become adamant. I can't help but feel panic at that thought.

A/N
Took too long to write that chapter, have been busy with the exams. Open to your suggestions and comments ♥️

BK.