[19] Era of Love

It's only natural to sleep after a warm meal. So natural, in fact, that I find myself purposely widening my eyes for the third time in the past few minutes - a feeble attempt at trying to appear alert.

I try to ignore my heavy eyelids and focus on something, anything. My gaze shifts to the breakfast table of our temporary office at the Neris Mage Bureau. A soft chuckle escapes me at the sight of the three pizza boxes. Two for the four of us, and the third for John alone.

When the world before becomes fuzzy once more, I decide to switch focus, latching onto the rich baritone of Ethan's voice instead.

"Now that we've all had our pizza, let's begin." He notices Justin's slightly scrunched eyebrows and adds, "the mission debrief, I mean."

"Do we have to?" Liz whines, gingerly massaging her forearm. She adjusts herself on the chair beside mine, resting her forehead on the center table.

Justin responds before Ethan gets a chance to. "I know it sucks but I really think we should do it now." His gaze settles on Liz and he gently offers, "if your arm is hurting I can re-bandage it or massage it."

John laughs, a unique amalgam of melody and depth. "Son, some advice. If you offer Liz a massage now, you'll be her personal masseur for life."

Liz giggles and sends Justin a flirtatious air kiss from across the table.

Ethan leans in between and pretends to swat it away. "John, for the debriefing I think it's best if your group starts since everyone's caught up with the recent attack. It may clear some things up."

John nods and clears his throat. "Of course. After the discussion at the Sheriff's station, we first came here, to the Bureau, and found Councilman Giorgio. He was directing the raid on Bilo's lab all those years ago. Thanks to Liz he told us he had faked the news that day- the twins had survived."

My attention is diverted towards Liz when she tucks some of her voluminous braids behind her ear, revealing her pointy ears. She says, "after that, we kept going to different run-down locations around town, using Justin as our magical bloodhound. At the mill, he saw ridiculous amounts of transformation magic. I'm betting that's how they lured the victims to them."

I pinch the bridge of my nose and say, "but none of the twins displayed any transformation abilities. Although, I really don't think we've seen what they're actually capable of either." 

"They were definitely holding back," Ethan agrees. "They were trying to hold me back too, kept the fight in a small space belonging to hostages."

"Speaking of hostages, they didn't take me as one. I am clearly not trained in combat and have almost no control over my power- they know that, said so themselves. Grabbing me would've been an easy win..."

The table becomes silent. I exchange a glance with Ethan. He then adds, "and they only referred to me as Sage."

"Are you saying they have someone on the inside?" Justin gasps. His green eyes widen, flooded with disbelief and bewilderment.

"In which case, finding the mole will be next to an impossible task," John declares with an air of finality. We all look to him in sync, eyebrows scrunched.

I do not understand how he drew that conclusion.

He explains, "the twins were not secretive about their knowledge of you. If they were amateurs maybe it could be considered a slip-up. But these two are hardened, without a doubt. The trail of ashes left in their wake is enough proof. They spoke freely about their endeavors because they had no fear."