Chapter Seventeen

"Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it."

~Lucy Maud Montgomery

Chapter Seventeen

Alistair lowered her hover board to the ground and she let Landon jump down first. Then she got off and turned the hover board off. Her team had already gotten to the ground safely. Now they just had to wait for the others.

This was considered a kind of safe place. A place where the entire army could meet up and talk about plans, strategies, and, as Alistair would have to speak about, intelligence about the Destines.

Kellan pulled Alistair to the side. "I need to talk to you."

"Can you make it fast? If I leave Landon out there when the others get here, they're going to try to kill him." Alistair rolled her eyes.

"What's so special about this Destine that you had to rescue him?" Kellan asked. "Why did you choose this guy to ask to join us?"

"I don't know. He's the first Destine I've ever really looked at. All the others were just random faces. He seemed nice. And so far, he's been nothing but helpful. He told me about how the Destines plan to draw us into battle. Maybe he could even lead us to their headquarters. Then we could take out their leader. This could all end so soon. I can see all the possibilities, Kellan." Alistair smiled hopefully.

"I see them, too, Alistair. But I see the bad ones as well. I see this as a possible trap, where this Destine is leading us to our death. Why would he help us?" Kellan asked.

Alistair frowned, her hope quickly deteriorating. "You'll never get it until you see it with your own eyes. Just wait until he's fighting alongside us in battle, maybe then you'll see that he's on our side. Landon is not a pawn. Just wait." She walked away. "Are you hungry, Landon?"

He nodded. "When are the others supposed to be here?"

"I can't say for sure. I can't make contact with anyone." Alistair touched the earpiece. "I'll go get us something to eat. It may be a while."

•••

"Let's just not worry about him right now." Zayne drew an arrow back and shot at a tree. "Tomorrow, we'll be fighting the Destines. Probably an army of them. We should train a bit. Get our shots and swings as accurate as Alistair's."

Kellan sighed. "You can do that. I'll just sit here and watch."

"By the way, I'm sorry about shooting an arrow towards you." Zayne apologized.

"What?" Kellan looked at him, surprised.

"I'm sorry." Zayne repeated.

"Really? Uh, I'm sorry about threatening to kill you then. I was really upset." Kellan replied.

"Dude, you almost shot me in the chest." Zayne raised an eyebrow at him.

Kellan shrugged, "I'm sorry."

Alistair was sitting in a nearby tree, watching and listening to them. She smiled at the two on the ground.

Light footsteps caught Alistair's attention and she rose up to her feet. She stared in the direction of the noise and spotted a mass of people. "I think the others are here." She yelled down to her team. "But prepare for battle in case they're Destines. Use trees as cover, but don't attack until I say so." She told them and did as she said.

She and Landon climbed down to the ground and waited as the crowd of people came into the area. Johnson was leading the group and Alistair smiled wide as she saw them all. "It's safe!" She shouted to her team.