Chapter Ten

"The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things."

~ Henry Ward Beecher

Chapter Ten

Alistair stared at him. "You do?"

"You have no reason to lie to me. And I trust you. Plus, Damien's brother was named Paris and he was a doctor here in Clandestine. It makes sense." Zayne took her hand. "But that's not where the tour ends. I just want to show you one more thing."

Zayne led Alistair down a flight of stairs. "It's a river." Ali observed.

"Yeah," Zayne walked to the edge of the river and stuck his hand inside, when he pulled it back out, the room transformed and the moon was above their heads. They were outside sitting at the edge of a glittering riverbank on bright green grass that felt soft against their skin, "Cool, huh?" He ran his hand along the blades of grass.

Alistair nodded, "Absolutely." She whispered. "Zayne?"

He looked into her eyes. They were dark green in the moonlight and a sliver of gold began to circle her irises. He smiled, "Yes, All-Star?"

Ali smiled, "How did you find all this?"

"Luck," he shrugged. "I don't know. I just happened upon it all. I like to make wishes, I guess." He pulled a coin from his pocket and closed his eyes for a few seconds. Alistair watched him silently. He smiled, "This is about as close to a fountain as I'm gonna get right now." He tossed the coin into the water and grinned.

Alistair placed her hand on his knee. "What'd you wish for?"

Zayne smirked. "Well, if I tell you it might not come true."

Alistair rolled her eyes. "Okay, I wouldn't want to mess up your wish." She smiled.

"Um, Al, when you saw your parents, did you see where they went?" He asked her.

"They just said they were heading to Earth to leave me. And Paris said it was a wise idea." Alistair shrugged and plucked a piece of grass from the ground. "I'm sorry about freaking out back there."

Zayne looked at her. "It's fine. You were just responding normally considering the situation." He placed his hand on hers to keep her from pulling out another blade of grass.

"But I'm not normal, Zayne. Normal people don't even have situations like that." Alistair looked into his eyes. His light green eyes, paler than the grass, but also more vibrant in color. But beautiful, Alistair decided. She frowned. "I don't suppose I'll ever be normal again."

"Why would you want to be normal?" Zayne asked. "Normal is boring. Why not have amazing powers and strengths that make you special." He rose to his feet and pulled Alistair to hers. "Look at me, Al."

She looked into his eyes again. They were strictly serious as they stared into her own. She breathed slowly.

"I like you this way, Al. Normal isn't always the best thing to be. Sometimes it's good to be special. There are always gonna be twists and turns and troubles, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing to be. You just have to overcome it, okay?" Zayne stared at her intensely, waiting for a response.

Alistair nodded. "You sure can give a pep talk." She smiled at him.

Zayne laughed lightly. "I know right." He grinned.

She stared at him for a little while longer. "I think we should head back now." She finally spoke.

"All right," Zayne rose to his feet and they left the funhouse.