Chapter 9: Nest

I woke up groggily to the motion of being carried. As I looked around I realized I was being carried by Wigfrid while Wendy and Webber walking beside her. 

"W-what is going on?..." I asked rubbing my forehead.

"Morning sleeping wackjob. Wendy, Webber, and I wanted to explore a bit but Willow said we needed an adult to do it." Wigfrid said still marching on with me slung over her shoulder.

"And I assume she didn't specifically say they needed to be conscious?" I said rubbing my temple and taking a piece of jerky Wendy handed me.

"Exactly" she said with pride in her voice. After a few more moments of walking she finally let down from her shoulder and the four of us kept walking on.

Eventually we found our way to a large spider nest, shaking and throbbing due to the Spider Queen just ready to burst out of it. 

"Someone hand me a torch." I said quickly and sternly holding my hand out towards the two teens and child. The teens scrounged around their bags, but before they could find whatever it was they were looking for Wendy was all ready lighting her torch and handing it to me. Odd how the youngest of the three seemed to be the the most mature and competent.

"Thank you, Wendy. Now children... Don't try this. Ever. I mean it. Never." I said looking them all in the eye. And with that I hopped the fallen tree we were hiding behind and booked it to the nest. I pulled my ax free from my belt and swung it just in time to stop one of the spiders from attacking me. There was a good twenty feet of webbing I had to run through, hacking up about 18 spider with 4 of them getting a good jab at me. 

As I reached the center I threw the torch and it slowly set fire to the webbing on the ground, the flame quickly making it's way to the nest. The tough and durable webbing on the ground burned slowly, but the silk like webbing of the nest burned quickly. Flaming spiders screeching as they ran out of the nest before crumpling up and dying. Soon there was a horrifying sound that shook the forest. The dying screeches of the Spider Queen. The giant beast  thrashing around sending flaming webs every direction. I managed to dodge most of them but as I was at the edge of the webbing a few thick strands were flung towards me. I held up my arm and kept them from burning my face and chest, but it did burn though my sleeve and my arm.

"Alright kids. Let's head back" I said walking back towards camp, two shocked teens and an impressed looking Wendy in tow.

As I walked into the camp I saw Wolfgang trying to look 'macho' to the others. Lifting up logs in each arm, Wes sitting on one log blowing up a balloon and Willow sitting cross-legged reading a book on the other one and looking quite amused at the situation.

"Heheh, I see everyone is having fu-" I started but was interupted by Wigfrid.

"HOLY SHIT! WILLOW! WE'RE TAKING HIM OUT EVERYTIME WE EXPLORE! HE WAS FUCKING AWESOME!" waving her arms around and an excited smile on her face. 

A confused Willow patted the log and Wolfgang let her down and she asked "What are you talking about?".

"He burned down a spider next that was about to hatch a Queen Spider!" Wigfrid said practically bouncing with excitement. 

Willow looked like she was about to say something sarcastic but then she looked over to me. I had four gashes on my legs, strand of webbing caught in my hair and a few stuck to my clothes, and the giant burn on my right arm.

She ran over and worriedly started looking me over, removing webbing from my hair and clothes, and telling WX-78 to bring some medical supplies.

Willow had me sit down on a log with her as she treated my wounds. She cleaned the gashes on my legs while Wigfrid was telling the story to everyone. Wendy sat to the other side of me kicking her legs, smiling at me, and tying flowers into a garland. 

To my prideful surprise Wolfgang came over and patted my shoulder and said "Congratulations, very brave thing you did." 

"Thank you ,Wolfgang." I said before wincing as Willow tied the bandages on one gash very tightly, to her amusement. She did the same three more times, picked me over to make sure all the webbing was removed from me. She paused while looking at my burn. A thousand yard stare mixed with sadness and worry. Then she told WX-78 to get the burn cream from her tent. While we waited she tapped her forefingers together and looked at the ground and I just rubbed my stubble. 

When WX-78 finally handed her the burn cream and went to join the others I decided to ask Willow something. "Um... Willow, why do you look as if you're handling explosives?" I asked with a small smile. 

"Oh... Well I'm guessing no one has told you my whole 'deal'." I nodded in agreement. "Well, I'm kinda a remorseful pyromaniac, that is when there are other people that can get hurt. When Wolfgang showed up he found me unconscious in the middle of a burnt forest. Then half a month later I stared another fire, he wasn't near it though. Another half a month later I did it again but almost killed Wendy. That's when I decided to try and stop. It took a while but I got better. Of course if I start a fire now I can't stop. I keep my distance from the bonfire so I don't revert. Smoking helps me cope though."

I looked at her with sympathy. At first her face seemed thankful for the sympathy, but then she seemed very aggravated before punching me in the chest, something that would've hurt if I hadn't been surviving on this island alone for three years. For a moment she crossed her arms and looking the other direction, but then the two of us started laughing. 

'Huh... She's a recovering pyromaniac and I'm recovering from being clinically insane. This is an odd feeling in my chest...'