Chapter 4: A small chat

The small child led me to an open area with a bonfire in the center. She pointed towards a bench before running off towards a large cluster of tents and machines. I looked at the bonfire, which was no more than giant logs glowing with what used to be a fire, and thought about how I would raise my sanity. I've never had to concern myself with this before, mostly because I never realized I had the issue. I was lost in thought until I heard a click to my side.

"So you finally woke up." Willow said as she lit the bonfire. She looked normal, despite the bandage wrapped around her head. "Indeed. Though after the way I exploded like that, I figured the chances of me waking up at all were about 11%." I said resting my head on one hand as the fire began to burn. "Yeah well... At first Wolfgang wanted to cut your head off, but we all had to hold him back. I at first kind of agreed with him, but then I remembered that if we resort to killing another survivor then we're no better than Maxwell." she said staring intensely into the fire. There was a brief moment of silence in which she stared intensely into the fire and me looking at her wondering what was happening. "So... You've been here longer?..." she said solemnly. I was caught by surprise but still answered with "It would appear so... I can't apologize enough for my rash actions. I let the bottled up anger at Maxwell I've had explode when I heard you say you've been here the longest and-" she interrupted me with "Don't apologize. I understand. If I heard someone think they had it the worst when you had it even worse I would explode like that too." I stood up and stood next to her with my arms crossed. "Uh... I kinda have something for you" she said looking at me. I raised an eyebrow and she placed a crown of flowers on my head. "What is this for?" I asked pointing to the odd head piece, and she said "It's a garland, moron. It raises your sanity.". I threw my eyebrows up and dropped my jaw. "After getting a good look at you anyone can tell you're insane. You have bags under your eyes, your pupils are always contracted, and you're so jittery that even WX-78 would've called you out on it.". I rubbed the back of my head in embarassment for a moment before my curiosity spoiled the moment. "Who's WX-78?" I asked hesitantly, and she said "Oh he's- was one of us. He was a robot but he busted a while ago and we don't have any idea to fix him.". I had a great idea to gain their trust! I could just fix their robot! "You know... I'm a scientist. I may be able to fix him.".