The Regular

Coming back to the moment of now I am still young, havn't reached a decade old yet. But I feel like it's been centuries that I've lived when only a few moments have passed by. The more I look back at the start of it all when I was 6 the older I feel. I'm still only 8 years old but it's fun to look back at the people I've met so far. The first one who came to me (well besides my bestie who came with me everywhere) was a regular person. She had nice brown hair in a side french braid and pale skin with brown eyes. My best friend introduced her to me as 'the regular'. The woman greeted me and said hello but then went on to say I am not special there's plenty more of folks like me who you will see around.

She elaborated some more by adding oh you'll see us all around, we just wander and live the daily life. I didn't know how to respond so I quickly stole a glance at best friend and she nodded her head in a sympathetic manner. Best friend caught me glancing at her and nudged her eyes back to the woman. I kept hearing her out and she just stood there going on about how you can hear us in the wind and see our shadows flicker in the light. I kept trying really hard to pay attention to her until I noticed it's sometime past 11pm on me green lit led clock. I kept looking at her and it seemed like seconds later I turn back to my clock and it's now 1am. At this point I forgot a lot of the haunted house things and area specific clues to look out for because I am not even a decade old and it's way past my bedtime.

After some time my best friend thanked the woman and she waved goodbye before bestie went by my side again. She seemed to be content at the moment but then got upset at me for spacing out and then falling asleep with my eyes open while sitting up. I told her I didn't mean to it's just that I had a long day of school and was tired. She said she'd give me a death glare if she wasn't already dead but to not forget about the deal. I looked at her puzzled; what deal did I make. She said well you know when we gave you some memories back you said you'd hear out our stories and help us out remember? I kept thinking about it and realized that I spaced out and never heard her say that.

With my shocked expression, she turned to me and puffed her cheeks out saying well you better start listening better because this ain't gonna end anytime soon. It was at this moment I finally understood. You see I didn't realize at the time that seeing dead folk was going to be a regular event but apparently I have an oral and social contract now saying that it is indeed going to be a regular event. I continue to sit there spacing out a bit and think to myself a bit. Then best friend comes back and says exactly what I am thinking; oh dear we are in trouble, by we I mean you.