Chapter 40- Getting Away with Murder

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid you're just making personal statements at this point, Albus," Pilliwickle added, coldly. "As touching as it is, if you can't provide us with any actual evidence—"

"Oh, you want evidence, do you?—Well, it just so happens that I've brought along the only person who could provide you with such a thing," He gestured Frankie to stand up, so she did as she was told. The whole crowd's eyes were suddenly fixed on her and her alone. "She is the only sole witness of the events that took place on June 13th. The closest source of information to the truth. May I introduce to the court—Frankie Dickson."

The eyes seemed to sting her much more as Dumbledore sat back down and she was left standing alone. She wanted to say so much, but the words were unable to escape her lips. The fear of saying the wrong thing and ruining Hagrid's whole future was overwhelming her.

                                        ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

In another part of the country, Tom approached the back of the Riddle manor. His endorphins were buzzing out of control by the time he reached the garden of the house. Tom barely had time to compose himself or process his next moves, before a dangerous light appeared. Thankfully, it wasn't immediately pointed at him, and he was able to conceal his presence from whoever it was. His father wouldn't be out this late. It was probably the gardener or some other household staff clocking off for the night. The light illuminated a rather plain man, holding the lantern and hanging up what Tom hoped was the house key. The man trudged away towards a small house on the edge of the property, not knowing what was lurking in the shadows. Even though Tom could've easily used magic to open the door, he grabbed the key off the hook and started jiggling it in the lock. He had his uncle's wand now, but it was better to limit as much of the underage magic as possible. He didn't quite know how the Ministry tracked underage magic use, but he was probably already going to get a stern warning for using his wand earlier. The door creaked open, and he slipped into a dimly lit kitchen.

Where to start looking? He looked around at the ornate riches that he might've grown up with if things had been vastly different. How dull and dysfunctional it would've been to attempt a childhood here. The orphanage was certainly the weaker structure in comparison, but he was starting to see a few merits in growing up there. He would've been so much worse growing up as a Riddle or a Gaunt. Tom continued to wander the pristine halls, looking for a sign of life, but it seemed like no one was there. He'd have liked to run into that cow, Cecilia, first. His stepmother deserved to know who he was and what his father had done. Something told him his little message had went in one ear and out the other. She'd get the idea much clearer when Tom was using the Severing Charm on her fair neck. He moved upstairs to find a bright light shining in a room at the end of the hall. He crept through the long dark hallway and was soon close enough to hear the crackling fire and a variety of voices coming from inside the room. Tom tiptoed as close as he possibly could and hid himself along the wall.

"How long will Cecilia be away for?"

"Only for a few days. Her mother has grown very ill, the poor thing."

"How upsetting. I should've gone with her."

The voices sounded exactly like Tom's voice. Tom did not even need to peer around the corner into the room for a second to know that at least one of them was his father's.

"I'll miss her terribly." Tom Riddle Sr. continued, with a sorrowed sigh. Tom wanted to gag at the saccharine sweetness in his father's voice talking about that wretched blonde demon like she was an angel.

"—Not as much as she's going to miss you." Tom laughed, mockingly from the hallway. It might've been a bit of a childish act and given away his stealthy position in the shadows a tad too early, but Tom couldn't help himself. That sickly sweetness had been more than he could take. Tom Sr. quickly rose from his chair and glared into the darkness of the hallway.