Chapter 40- Getting Away with Murder

Frankie did not recognize the boy that sat in the chained chair at first. They must've brought in someone else by mistake because that sallow creature sitting there could not possibly be the Hagrid she knew. His long curly dark hair hung greasy and ratted over his pale face. His skin was a pigment that should've been impossible for any living creature to obtain. He was whiter then Tom was on a normal basis and that was saying something because people had often described Tom as a porcelain skeleton. Along with the ghostly white pigmentation, the boy was much skinnier then the hefty, half-giant Frankie had come to known over the past few years. He was gaunt and no longer held the warm, cheery air of a Gryffindor. It was horrifying to think that only a few months in Azkaban could reduce someone to this state. Frankie had foolishly believed her soul would've been able to take whatever Azkaban might throw at her because most of her life had already been an insufferable prison. However, upon seeing him there, she quickly realized that they could not even be compared in the slightest. Between the matted curls, Hagrid eyes managed to find hers. She tried to replace her worried expression with an empty smile. He tried to flash a smile back, but it just ended up as a small painful grimace.

The judge rose to silence the pandemonium in the crowd, and everyone became quiet immediately on his command. He was a stern looking man whose name was Justus Pilliwickle, and, despite his name, he gave the impression he was about to be anything but just.

"Rubeus Hagrid. You have been brought here in front of the Council of Magical Law to answer to the indictments made against you. You have been charged for the murder of a muggleborn student, Myrtle Warren, and the petrification of fifteen other students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..." he started, once he was sure the chatter had died down entirely. "We will now bring forth the evidence and facts for this case. You will be given a chance to make a statement for yourself and then the jury shall make its decision."

As the evidence was brought against him, Frankie found it harder and harder to follow Dumbledore's word and remain silent. There were several wizards and witches reading facts and figures that had been collected from god only knows where. They highlighted Hagrid's bloodline and the violent nature of giants, more than actual distinctive evidence. It made her furious.

"—I have a few words I would like to say on his behalf, if that is alright."

Dumbledore had suddenly risen to his feet, while Frankie was busy trying to block out the lies and silence the dozens of arguments she had swimming in her mind. The crowd's attention immediately focused onto the spot where they were seated. Pilliwickle didn't look to happy to see that he had risen.

"You have the floor."

"Thank you, councilman—For those of you who don't know, I'm Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore—Now, while I have only known Rubeus Hagrid for a few years, I fully believe he is not capable of such a cleverly contrived murder," Dumbledore stated, proudly. "Although, Rubeus isn't the best-behaved student we have at our fine institution, he's no cold-blooded killer. He's just a boy."

"Age matters not, Albus. I dare mention some of the rumors flying around about your youth."

"I'm not on trial, but I take full responsibility for my many lies and the errors I've made throughout my life." Dumbledore replied, simply. "Rubeus is being blatantly discriminated against because of who his parents are—as I was for mine. I will not stand quiet while this court bases their opinions on stereotypes and shatters this young boy's entire future."

Frankie smiled up at him. She wanted to clap and cheer, but his orders kept her still and silent. She felt the same way. Hagrid was not capable of the wickedness that had occurred against the other students at Hogwarts. No one else in the room seemed to understand this simple fact.