Chapter 32- Fleeting and Fancy

Start from the beginning

After three years, the Slytherin boy's 'friendship' with Tom was a rather peculiar thing that had developed. They'd deemed Tom the leader of their gang and followed his lead in every matter. He never knew exactly why his manner seemed to bend their will, but he wasn't about to deny having power over the powerful. They'd be useful for his future. If he played his cards right, next year he would be made a prefect for Slytherin and in seventh year he would surely be Head Boy. Those were all key aspects for a successful life once he left Hogwarts. He needed to adorn himself with as many accomplishments as he possibly could in order to achieve these goals. As much as he wanted to blend into the background and not be so bothered, it was also important for him to stand out amongst the rest. He still didn't have a clear idea of where he was going, but Tom was certain he wanted to be someone accomplished and known by nearly everyone of note in this world. Considering what made him special in the muggle world had made him common in this one, it was clear why he held such ambitious goals. But it didn't mean he was about to give up everything in his life for them. She meant far more to him.

They looked like two Dementors sitting back-to-back in the frosty despair they had created around them. Even though the likelihood of Dementors being anywhere near Hogwarts was slim to none, most people didn't want to risk getting closer to find out for sure. Except a distant figure storming up the path towards them with a similar hooded mystery. Tom scrunched up further into his scarf, so they could only see his cool dark eyes. The figure was definitely headed near them. It was time to deduce who it was, before he quickly made a casual suggestion to Frankie that it was too cold, and they should just give up for today. They were round. Peter, maybe? No. Someone else. They were larger than Peter. Ogg? The winter fog was too thick. He was only able to see when the figure got less than a foot in front of them.

"I knew that I'd find you two out, even on a day like this."

It was only Professor Slughorn. He would often go to the Three Broomsticks on Sundays and see Frankie and Tom on his way back up to the castle.

"Good day, professor."

"What do you want from us, sir?" Tom asked, a bit too rudely. He was not trying to sound ill-mannered towards his favorite teacher, but he was still in a foul mood.

"I've come to give you these—" Slughorn answered. He handed them golden envelopes with their names in graceful loops of emerald cursive scrawled across the front. "I would be honored if both of you could attend a little holiday party I'm throwing before winter vacation."

"A party?" Frankie questioned, trying to sound both utterly confused and completely flabbergasted at this announcement. Both her and Tom had decided it was best to act surprised, to humor him. She had already heard the news from Quin at the end of summer and had naturally mentioned it to Tom soon after. As his two favorite students, they'd been expecting invitations to the exclusive event for months now.

"Yes! It's just going to be a few exceptional students like yourselves, along with some of my former pupils." Slughorn explained, unable to conceal a bit of a superior tone.

Horace Slughorn was the kind of teacher you either absolutely loved or you absolutely hated. If you were one of his favorites, it not only meant school life was made easy, but life in general was made easy. Slughorn could get you practically any job you wanted. He may not have looked it, but he was powerful and well connected. Most likely everyone in attendance at the party was going to be somewhat famous, or a student who he plans to mold into someone even more brilliant then the last. Slughorn was convinced Tom would be the next Minister of Magic and the crowning jewel of his tutelage. As for Frankie, she would be an amazing Auror, just like her parents. He had their futures more planned out at the moment then they currently did.