35. A Cursed Soul

Start from the beginning

Kirk could feel a powerful wrath emitting from his older brother, and he finally saw the man that was the feared Pirate Lord. Despite not having a cursed soul, Zach was a thousand times stronger than Kirk, if not more. His older brother was right; he was far from strong, but he could make himself stronger.

The moment reminded Kirk of the day when he first met Jessica, when she had repelled a bullet with her sword. Like father like daughter. They were the same, right down to the emotionless looks in their eyes when fighting their opponents.

Kirk laughed, a rumble that bubbled up from the back of his throat.

"What's so funny?" Zach sheathed his sword.

"You and Jessica are the same." Kirk reminisced to his older brother of the day he first met Little Red and their time together on Harvest Island.

Every second Zach's stoic face relaxed into a cheerful grin, a grin that resembled Jessica's.

Zach had taught his daughter how to use the sword when he last saw her. He was happy to hear that his daughter still practiced, and from what Kirk had told him, she had made up some of her own spirit attacks.

He couldn't be prouder of her. However, the mention of Azalea had him worried sick, his stomach churning unpleasantly. He still didn't know why Hive Island was now secretly in the government's control. The island used to be an kingdom independent from the government. If they joined the United Islands, wouldn't such news have been in the papers?

Zach always read the newspapers. Information could be used as a weapon, another lesson he had taught his daughter, but nowhere had he read that Hive Island was now a part of the government. This thought made him feel even more unpleasant than he had been. What was the government doing on Hive Island?

He needed to find answers and work out what was going on, then he could help his daughter. He had to be at Halfway Point by the summer solstice. That was a month from now, but his daughter came first. He had no other choice than to ask his brother.

"I need to ask two favours of you."

Kirk looked uncertain with his older brother's request. "It depends on the situations."

"Bring Azalea back to me on Hive Island."

Kirk couldn't help but smile. He missed Jessica a lot and looked forward to their next meeting. She was always fun to be around.

"Of course, I'll bring Little Red back to you." He raked his hand through his crimson hair, knocking his goggles off in the process. "And the second favour?"

Kirk leaned over to pick up his orange goggles, a gift his brother once gave to him a long time ago and had been unable to part with ever since. It had been like a family tradition; he had given Jessica a pair of goggles the day he left her on Harvest Island. The thought made him smile even more knowing she was a blood relative.

"I need to go to Hive Island and find out what happened there. What forced my daughter to flee her homeland? I believe the woman in this locket will give me the answers to my questions."

Zach rummaged through his pockets until he found his honey gold locket with the bee engraving. He flicked it open to reveal a picture of his daughter and a woman with raven hair.

"Before you meet with me on Hive Island and after retrieving Azalea, I need you to go to Halfway Point." Zach snapped the locket shut. "The Pirate King has called forth the Brethren Court on the summer solstice. I need you to go in my place."

"Eh?" Kirk's mouth hung wide open, completely speechless.

His eyes were distant as he stared at nothing in particular. Zach looked behind him and back at his little brother, waving a hand in front of his face.