[10] Two is Better than One

Start from the beginning

      I groaned. “You’re…? Wait, why’d you dance with me then?” I demanded looking at him in what I was sure was a sort of hopeless manner.

      He shrugged. “You looked sad. Thought I’d try and cheer you up. I was pretty bored, anyway. By the way, why were you so sad?” He asked. I bit my lip and debated whether or not to tell him. I looked at him, his brown eyes smiling back at me encouragingly, and made my decision. It wouldn’t hurt, right? And Kallie and everyone else had never said you weren’t allowed telling people about the challenge.

      “Well, I’m sort of playing a game with my friends, and the one at the end of the night with the most numbers wins, but I’m really bad at this stuff,” I explained.

      Understanding began to dawn his eyes. “Hmm… Interesting, a bit odd, but interesting. What do they win?” He asked. I grimaced slightly and explained everything to him, excluding the parts about me, Kaden and ‘the talk’. As I got further and further into the story, his expression became one that opposed mine. When he finished, he started laughing.

      “Hmm… I can help you with that, I have an idea.” He grinned mischievously and looked around. Whoa. I guess Vegas is really different. I mean, I don’t think anyone would offer to give up their night to help a stranger.

      My eyes widened. “You don’t have to, you know,” I told him, expecting an ‘Oh, okay, goodbye, have a nice night’.

      Instead, he just shook his head, “I want to. It sounds like a lot of fun. It’ll probably keep me entertained tonight. And I should’ve done this ten minutes ago, but I’m Devon.” He held out a hand and smiled at me.

      “Raine,” I replied, placing my hand in his and shaking it. Devon let go a couple moments later, and examined me, again. I squirmed slightly. I knew he didn’t mean anything off it, but it still felt a bit odd to have him looking at me like that.

      “Okay, let’s get down to business. Do you have anything like paper? Or a pen?” He asked. I grinned and produced the pad of paper and Sharpie Kallie had given me. He took them and stood up.

      “Wait, what do I do?” I asked confused as to why he was leaving so suddenly.

      “Just stand over there and look pretty and shy. Maybe mingle a bit, get some of your own numbers,” he tore off 4 sheets of paper and handed them to me. Wow. Even a pretty much complete stranger knew about my flirting abilities- or lack thereof. “And leave the rest to me,” he finished.

      “How am I going to find you again?” I asked, before he left.

      “Phone?” Devon asked holding out a hand. I pulled out my phone and gave it to him. He punched in some numbers before handing it back to me, “Call me in an hour.” Then he, like Annabelle and Kallie had, disappeared into the crowd. Like last time, I stood around for a bit, with no clue what to do. I looked around and examined the club, trying to figure out what Devon was going to do. He was probably going to get numbers, but how? There was a long bar tucked in the corner across the room, the walls shimmered with a creepy glint, and lights flashed like a police car chase scene. The club reeked of sweat, alcohol, and a hint of cigarette smoke. It looked almost fake, and wild, and crazy, like something you’d see out of a cliché Hollywood movie.

      Mingle with some people and get your own numbers. Devon had said. Well, time to make myself useful. I approached a small group of guys, who were for the most part nice. I talked to them for a moment and while none of them really showed an interest, romance-wise, I manage to get their numbers. That took me about half an hour, but I manage to get 6 numbers, which I wasn’t too bad. In the remaining thirty minutes, I didn’t get as many, but I still got some. When I saw that it had been an hour, I ducked into the girl’s washroom, which was mostly empty, and called Devon.