If It's Not Broken, Don't Fix It

Start from the beginning

"Yeah she was like an animal out there."

My head turns to see Melissa and Claire coming up behind us, both of them looking roughed up and sporting nasty bruises on their faces. Claire even has a black eye. Melissa tries to smile despite the way she looks.

"She really took it to that thing, whatever it was."

That's probably my fault.

Faith looks down at the floor for a second, like she's feeling guilty or something.

"I can't believe it got away."

Geez, there were four slayers and they still didn't take it out? What the heck is this thing?

"It got away?"

They all nod, disappointed. Candy, Carmen, Tess and I look at each other for a second in shock. My girlfriend is the first to answer.

"Yeah... I'm sorry Dawn."

Her hand squeezes mine and I see a look of regret on her face. I step into her space again and put my arm around her.

"It's all right. As long as everyone got out okay, that's the important thing."

We hold each other in the middle of the hospital hallway.

"I guess everything's all right then."

That's her voice...

Turning around, I see Buffy being wheeled towards us in a wheelchair by an orderly. The second I see her I let go of Faith and go to my sister. There's a sling on her left arm and her hair is all messy, but otherwise she looks okay.

"Buffy..."

I crouch down in front of my sister as the orderly stops the chair.

"Are you okay?"

She smiles at me because of my question.

"I'm fine."

Buffy lifts her left arm and looks at it for a split second before focusing back on me.

"A little worse for wear, but I'll survive. The doctors say I have a compound fracture in my forearm, but it'll heal."

That puts a smile on my face.

"Good, I'm glad."

A hand touches my shoulder and I look behind me to see Faith standing there. Her gentle touch lets me know that I should stand up, so I do, letting my eyes fall on the orderly's.

"When can we take her home?"

"You can take her home right now if you want to. Her bone has been set. She has to keep it in a sling for about four to six weeks until it heals but otherwise she's fine."

Oh...

"All right..."

Buffy stands up a little sluggishly.

"I'm ready when you guys are."

The orderly looks at us in a suspicious way.

"Shouldn't you be taking it easy in the wheelchair? You've just had a major accident."

We all get kinda nervous at his question, but Buffy takes the initiative and explains.

"Uh, no, I'll be okay. I'm a fast healer."

He seems to take that with a grain of salt.

"All right, but I hope I don't see you again soon Ms. Summers."