Seventeen: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Start from the beginning

"I'm not a kid anymore, Alec. I'm practically a grown up-"

"You're 9, Max."

"So what?! I had to grow up in a shit world where kids are forced to grow up fast! Alec. Listen to me." Max leaned forward, eyes now filled with determination. "I know how to use a gun. I'm small. I can fit into tight spaces that adults can't get into. I'm an asset."

Alec grinned. "An asset, huh? Where did you learn that word?"

"Shut up," Max laughed. "I know lots of words. And it's true. I can be helpful out there. But you won't ever know because you never let me help out when it's obvious you need help."

Alec sighed. Max looked so much older than he really was. For a nine year old boy, he acted twice his age. He was more mature than an adult sometimes and it baffled Alec. "When are they leaving?"

Max's face lit up. "You're letting me go?"

"I didn't say that. I asked you when they were leaving."

Max got to his feet and ran out to the living room. He returned a minute later, breathless from running and from excitement. "At noon. I just asked them. So can I go?!"

Alec closed his eyes. "If I let you go you have to promise to stay close to the guys, okay? Don't run off and try to be a hero."

"Tough talk coming from a guy who's always trying to be a hero himself," Max retorted. "Just let me go, Sasquatch. I'll come back with all kinds of good stuff that we need. I promise to stick with the guys and not wander off." With a cry of delight, Max jumped on top of Alec and hugged him. "Thank you! I won't let you down! I promise!"

"Good. I'm glad," Alec said through gritted teeth. The pain in his shoulder was slowly ebbing away as he breathed deeply in and out. "I don't have to remind you that your gun isn't a toy, do I?"

Max shook his head. "I know how to use a gun, Alec. It's a dangerous weapon and someone can get hurt."

Alec pat his little brother on the shoulder. "Good boy. Now go before I change my mind."

Max got to his feet. He was smiling like an idiot as he raced over to the bedroom door.

"Max?" Alec said.

Max stopped in front of the door, hand on the knob. "Yeah?"

Alec grinned. "Bring me back something cool, huh?"

Max smiled and nodded. "That I can do."

After Alec ate his breakfast, he sat up on the mattress and looked through the magazines that Clary brought in for him. They were mostly old gardening magazines but he did see an old celebrity gossip one that brought back old memories from the time it was dated.

"Kim Kardashian is pregnant again," said a voice. Alec looked up from the magazine to see Magnus standing in the doorway. He was picking at a button on his shirt and looked somewhat nervous.

"She was pregnant you mean. She's probably dead by now," Alec said as he tossed the magazine to the side. "All that fame and money didn't save her in the end. We all got what was coming to us. Equally."

Magnus continued to stand in the doorway. "Yeah. True. Money can't solve all your problems I suppose."

Seeing his discomfort, Alec waved him inside. "Come in and shut the door. I want to talk to you about something."

Magnus did as he was told and shut the door when he stepped inside the room. "If this is about what happened last night, then I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to kiss you. It just....sort of happened."