Chapter 3

I stopped running when I reached our base camp. I could hear Herra, Oryn, and Lennon moving around freely, clanking their forks from breakfast against the metal dishes we used.

"Gemma?" Herra called loudly. I cursed inwardly and stepped out from behind the tree I was using for cover. She began stalking towards be as soon as I showed myself. She grabbed my arm and pulled me farther away from the rest of our group. "What the hell were you thinking? Where is Wesley"

"Herra," I hissed. "Wesley crossed the boundary line, they took him to the pack house."

"Why was he over there in the first place? You were supposed to be watching!"

"I can't watch every little thing, Herra, there's only one of me."

She glared at me but let go of my arm. I shrugged my shoulder and pulled on the roots of my hair.

"We need to get out of here though, after we get Wesley" I said softly, thinking back to my mate.

"Why?" She grunted. "I have business here for a while."

"What kind of business?"

"The kind that doesn't involve you." I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a deep breath.

"I can't stay here," I told her, looking into her icicle eyes. She gave me a pointed look and began walking back to camp.

"Why not?"

"My mate is in that pack," I whispered. Herra stopped walking but stayed facing away from me. I took a step toward her and she flinched at the crunch of brush under my feet.

"This could work," She finally murmured. She turned with a wild look on her face and grabbed my shoulders excitedly.

"What?"

She nodded. "You can get Wesley back." 

I sighed and stepped back, trying to put space in between Herra and me.

"What do you want me to do, sneak in and break him out?"

"I want you to talk your mate into letting him go, or help us free him." I could tell Herra thought this was a good idea from the confidence in her voice.

"Herra," I began.

"No," She growled, then took a moment to compose herself. "It's your fault Wes was taken, and you'll get him back."

"My mate won't let me leave if I go back, I can't stay there, Herra. My pack will find me. They'll hurt me, they'll hurt all of you." Emotion poured out of me and I slammed my jaw together to keep it from wobbling.

"I don't care," She said plainly. Her white-blonde hair whipped around as she turned. I trudged behind her.

"Herra, listen to me," I begged. "They'll let him go if you go to the Alpha. He's a kid, they can't blame him."

"Gemma, we're rogues," Herra said patronizingly. "They'll imprison us if we go there, you're the only one who can get him back."

"I don't even know his name," I shouted exasperatedly.

"Well," She smiled cruelly. "I guess you'll have to find out, won't you?"

"Gem!" Lennon cheered as we got closer. She hopped up from the small log she was sitting on and rushed over to me. Her dirty hands wound around my leg and pulled backward. "I missed you, let's go play!"

"Lennon, I can't," I told her sadly, stroking the back of her head.

"Why not?" She pouted, tilting her head back to look up at me. Her big blue eyes glinted in the early morning light.