"I need to figure some stuff out."

"Where's Wesley?" She wondered. I let her question hang in the air as she toddled back to her seat. I walked past them and the rest of our things.

I heard a stream not far away, a cool rustling against rocks and trees. It didn't take long for it to come into sight, but in the half-shadowed forest I was weary of my footing. Werewolves were notoriously stealthy creatures, but I hadn't been blessed with the coordination my fellow shifters were born with.

I rinsed myself off in the freezing water quickly, and sat on the edge of the water to calm myself. Repeatedly, I played the events of last night in my head, wondering how I could've let Wesley slip through my watch.

"You look troubled," A voice proclaimed from my left. My head snapped over nearly painfully and I saw my mate strolling up the side of the stream, holding onto the edge of a tree to keep himself from falling in the water.

I stood immediately, ignoring the ache in my neck.

"Hey," He stopped moving, holding his hands in the air. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I continued to stare at him warily as he squatted down next to the water.

"Your friend is okay," He said lightly, peeking out at me. I was trying to come up with some response when he stood up again. I jumped back and nearly lost my footing. He reached his arms out, nowhere close enough to help me, but wanting to steady me.

I balanced myself again and he smiled sheepishly.

"I didn't mean to scare you," He apologized. "You're friend, the kid, he's fine. We fed him, gave him a place to sleep."

"You need to let him go," I told him, looking him up and down. He smirked slightly as my eyes glazed over him.

"You'll need to meet with my Alpha if you want the boy," He told me. "What's your name?"

"I can't meet with your Alpha," I shook my head.

"My name is Cam," He answered as if I had responded to his question. "I'm the Head Border Guard for my pack. The Alpha is my best friend, he'll let you see the boy."

"No, he needs to come with me," I tried to explain. "We can't stay there."

He took a step towards me and I moved to a rock about a foot into the stream. It was large and sturdy and allowed me to put distance between us.

"Why?" He asked simply.

"You don't need to know."

He laughed and rolled his eyes. "You're my mate, of course I need to know."

"That doesn't mean anything." His face tried to fight back the hurt I had projected on him with my words but he was a bad actor.

"It means something to me," He said calmly, sticking his hands in his pocket and looking down. "And maybe someday I'd like it to mean something to you."

"That's not what I meant," I tried to take back my words, grimacing. "I just, I can't explain this right now."

"I can keep you safe until you can tell me." I looked up into his hazel eyes. He seemed kind, sweet even, which made it more difficult to bring him into the danger that followed me.

"That's very sweet," I smiled slightly.

"It's not sweet," Cam muttered, standing up straighter. "It's the truth. I can protect you, my pack can protect you. I can tell you weren't born with the Rogue gene, so there must be something you're running from."

I swallowed and looked away from him, behind his shoulder to where our temporary camp was.

"Cam," He inhaled as I said his name. "I need you to trust that I can't tell you everything right now. It's safer if I'm not in your pack, it's safer if no one knows about me."

"How the hell can that be safer?" He laughed loudly, shaking his head like he was trying to make sense of everything.

"I'll tell you one day," I promised, only half meaning it.

"Are you okay?"

I was taken aback by his question and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I mean, are you okay right now?" He tried again. "Are you safe where you are?"

"I'll be fine for now," I nodded.

"Then whenever you're ready to tell me, you can come back to me," He said, stepping up on the river bed. "But I have to keep the boy with us until then."

"You can't do that," I pleaded, nearly screaming.

"He'll be safe," He smiled softly. "And you will be too when you decide you can trust me. You know where I'll be."

He hopped up over the bushed and brush near the river and was gone within seconds. I stepped back onto the dirt bed and ran my hand over my face.

"What seems to be the problem, love?" I groaned as Oryn's voice floated down to me. He had his fishing rod and small tackle box in hand.

"Nothing," I grunted.

"Your little boyfriend make you angry?"

"He's not my boyfriend," I denied. He walked closer to me, setting his things on the sand.

"Good, because I would hate for anyone to come in between us," He smirked, stepping too close to me.

"You mean like your girlfriend, practically your mate?" He sneered at my comment and grabbed the belt loop on my pants I had grabbed before I went to the river.

"I don't like that tone," He whispered.

"You need to get whatever fantasy this is out of your head," I said loudly. "Because nothing will ever happen."

"That attitude makes me want to beat it out of you," He said darkly. "Or fuck it out of you, either one will work for me."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I peeled his fingers from my pants.

"Leave me," I paused and opened my eyes. "The hell alone, or I swear I will shove that fishing rod so far up your ass it'll come out of your mouth and I'll hang your balls off the end."