Chapter 3 - Part 1

"How did you find me?" she asked

"It really wasn't that difficult," I answered. "I asked around."

Slater had a network of people around campus. He could find anyone.

"What are you doing here?" She looked anxious as she dropped her eyes to the floor. She shifted slightly. My presence was making her nervous.

"I wanted to check on you." The answer came out huskier than I had planned.

Checking on her had been part of the reason but the truth was I was curious about the girl who didn't behave like the others. Although it was disconcerting, she was a breath of fresh air. But it made her more dangerous.

"Why?" she asked with a frown as she crossed her arms.

Granted I had used it as an excuse to see her again but to me it was a valid one. Why would she be questioning it? She'd been so drunk and I had been a complete gentleman by taking care of her the way I had. Some guys would have tried to take advantage.

"It was just one night. Why would you need to check up on me?" she asked with suspicious eyes.

She wasn't making any sense.

"What are you talking about?" I shook my head.

"Last night was fun and...thanks," she answered, sounding unsure.

Then I began to figure out why she seemed to be on a different page than me. I cocked my head to the side, brushing my lip ring with the tip of my tongue as I studied her.

"How much of last night do you remember?" I asked.

Her hesitation confirmed what I already suspected.

"You don't remember," I murmured as I studied her.

She clasped her hands together then shook her head. "No, I don't."

"Trust me—sleeping with me isn't something you'd forget," I assured her with the usual confidence I had with girls.

She looked at me thoughtfully.

"I don't understand," she finally said. "If we didn't sleep together, why did I wake up in bed with you?"

"You were out of it last night, and you could barely stand," I reminded her.

She frowned slightly.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled as her cheeks heated with embarrassment.

There was still one thing nagging me about the night before. Maybe she would be able to shed more light on it.

"Did you take a drink from someone last night?"

She looked a little confused at my question.

"Why would you ask that?" she asked.