Round 5: The Writer - @AngusEcrivain

Start from the beginning

The outbreak... The day the zombies took over... The day the world turned upside down...

There'd been talk of a group of scientists working out of a lab in Kazakhstan who'd managed develop some kinda' extinction level virus, the kinda' virus that'd make the Spanish Flu look like a mild case of headlice at a primary school.

Of course, by the time anyone realised the existence of such a virus was a bad thing it was too late and when it got out it spread across Asia like the plague. Within days every continent was affected.

Militaries and health organisations the world over were overwhelmed. Like fools they attempted to herd what remained of humanity into camps and facilities.

Only those who managed to keep away from all of that, who managed to stay away from camps and facilities survived...

I've no idea how many of us are left now but I'd be surprised if there are more than 10,000 humans left alive...

Every day is a struggle to survive. All we can do is fight, and hope...

***

He knew that kind of thing would have been popular, once upon a time. Back before Earth was actually coming to a visible end, stories of apocalypses were all the rage and generally involved a group of heroes fighting to survive against the elements, the establishment or the monsters.

There was nothing to fight against anymore though. The only true enemy was time, and that was one foe that really was invincible but despite that fact, the Writer fell asleep at his keyboard.

He awoke a matter of hours later, though he did not know for exactly how many hours he had slept.

The Writer stood and made his way out to the villa's balcony, overlooking the receding ocean. It was not too long ago, only a matter of years, that the villa was a beachfront residence but now, it sat some two hundred feet above sea level.

A ding inside put a smile upon his face, for it meant his daily water ration was available and he quickly went to the 101 Coffeemate, removed the container and held it beneath the tap, not wanting to waste a single drop before turning it on.

With a freshly brewed mug of coffee steaming at his right hand, the Writer set about writing once more.

***

"D'you wanna' drink?"

"Excuse me?"

"I asked if you wanted a drink. You look thirsty."

"I am to be fair, but it's a fair old while since a drop dead gorgeous woman has offered to buy me something."

"Well I think it's about time we rectified that, eh?"

"Sure... I'm drinking Grolsch."

"Two beers, barkeep!"

"Thanks, very decent of you. So what's with the slogan?"

"Excuse me?"

"The slogan, on your t-shirt: I'm Actually God. Ask Me How."

"Would you have preferred I put on my Jesus is a Cunt hoodie?"

"Well I was partial to Cradle, back in the day."

"As was I. Dani Filth's voice is to this day one of my favourite creations."

"Excuse me?"