The Wrath of Caligula

"The time will fly by, you'll see" Nathan reassures me, and I cross my arms, quietly seething. I've no doubt this night will drag and three and a half hours will feel like three and a half centuries "I've got a fun night planned"

His simple statement rubs me up the wrong way.

"Just so you know, I could name a million things more fun to do than this. I could be enjoying a nice starter at Red Claw right now. I could be at home revising. I'd rather be waxing my legs than in this car with you!" I shout at him, and he sighs.

"I'm sensing the Red Claw thing is going to be an issue" Nathan muses, and without warning he begins turning the car around.

"Where are we going?!" I yelp, grabbing the handle on the door to brace myself because of how violently he's turning.

"Red Claw" Nathan grins, and the car keeps going. It doesn't take too long to get there, with Brightmore being so small, and soon Nathan has parked.

The neon blue sign of Red Claw is reflecting on his car bonnet. The animatronic scarlet crab can be seen on the roof, perpetually opening and closing its pincers. Nathan climbs out of the car, and walks around to my side. I don't move.

"Come on, Maddie" Nathan sings, his voice playful. The last thing I want to do is have dinner with Nathan Dean, especially considering half the town will be there on a Friday night. And in a town this small, people talk. I wouldn't want word getting back to Jake that I did go on our date, only with someone else.

"I'm not having dinner with you" I state firmly, opening the car door and stepping out.

"I'm not asking you to" Nathan informs me, that stupid grin still in place. I slam his door shut for good measure, but Nathan doesn't comment on it.

We make our way to the door, where a tall, thin faced man is waiting to greet us. "Good evening, and welcome to Red Claw. Would you like a table for two?"

His voice is very low, and he speaks with an air of sophistication. Nathan gives him an almost comical grin. "No. I'd like a lobster please"

If the greeter is surprised, his face doesn't show it. "A lobster, sir?" He questions, and even I'm looking at Nathan in confusion out of the corner of my eyes.

"Yes, a lobster. To go" Nathan repeats, and the man gestures to the tank.

Trust Nathan to bring me to the one place in town that gives me the creeps, and make me do the one thing I never wanted to do- order a lobster. He seems to derive pleasure from my misery.

"How would you like it cooked, sir?" He asks, and Nathan shakes his head.

"No, I don't want it cooked. I want a live lobster. To go" Nathan beams, and I slide him another glance. His daft grin is still in place, and there's silence as the greeter considers his request.

There's a few moments of silence, before the greeter responds. He gestures to the tank again. "Will sir be requiring a bucket?"

I can't help the laugh that escapes me. Nathan beans down at me, pleased to have finally elicited something positive from me. He walks over to the tank, and I follow him. "Pick a lobster" He instructs, and I peer into the tank.

There's a big, brutish lobster at the front, who's standing his ground and moving his arms around. There's a smaller, thinner lobster who is scuttling all around the tank. Then one at the back catches my eye. It's a deep purple colour, but under the fluorescent tank lights, I swear its shell glints a bright blue.