Part 9

Letting out a screech Sak crouched low to the ground before shooting up into the sky.

Hidden behind the few clouds that laced the sky Sak flew about.  Unable to here anything from down below Sak continued to fly high above the island examining it.  A few minutes of being in the air and Sak was tiered and headed down to rest.  Having flown too far to see the crew Sak began to panic until another bird equally as big flew up on the right.

     Instinctually Sak followed the large pink bird with yellow tipped wings.  It flew to a Rocky Mountain side area with slim cracks exposing magma beneath the surface.  Placing his beak into one of the cracks , to inspect the bright warm substance, Sak swiftly pulled away finding it burning.  Although not noticeably damaged by the magma Sak did feel a dull throbbing pain from the burn.

     Avoiding repeating the same process Sak looked around.  There were large birds everywhere;  all of them with warm colored feathers. A couple of them aimed there beaks at the slow flowing magma below the rocky ground as Sak had done moments before. Knowing the pain it caused Sak's feathers ruffled as he was about warn them, but they completed the task before Sak could.

Startled Sak squawked noisily, but the other birds (some larger than Sak) ignored it. They seemed unfazed by the blistering heat of the molten rock.

The calm demeanor of the others got Sak to eventually quiet down after a few minutes of panicking, and unable to stay standing anymore Sak lied down. The warm ground was comfortable as the sun shone down on the area, but not to anything besides the gigantic birds. Regardless of being a plant or another animal only the Phoenixes could handle the immense heat; everything else that tried swiftly shriveled up and died. Killing everything on Scorched Island the spot gained the name The Burning Pyre from the locals.