Part 1

Ace had been walking around the ship bored.  He could not think of what to do; Thatch was busy and so was Marco.  He seemed the only one with any free time.  Even the captain was occupied with something.

So to try to keep himself busy Ace walked on the rails of the Moby Dick, playing around with his devil fruit, and looked out at the ocean.  The sky was bright and the water reflected it perfectly as it sparkled.  It was a waste to be bored on such a beautiful day.

Quick enough Ace got tired of what he was doing and decided on taking a nap.

As Ace fell asleep under a partially shady part of the ship, all the other crew members were finishing up with their work.

~15 minutes later~
Having finished with his work Marco walked onto the deck.  He saw his captain sitting in his seat like usual, Thatch hunched over Ace, and Ace sound asleep.

He rolled his eyes thinking of the pranks Thatch was no doubt planning to play on their sleeping friend.  Only as Marco approached he noticed the new addition to Ace's outfit.

On the rim of  Ace's hat sat a nearly perfect black puffball.  It was bizarre since he never changed up his clothes.  However there it was.  Something new and unlike his friend to have.

Ace having felt the stares he was getting from Marco and Tatch woke up.  "Why the hell are you guys staring at me?!" Ace yelled.  He had not expected them to be so close to him.

"You've got a new addition to your outfit-yoi."

Ace looked up at him with confusion evident on his face.  Seeing the look he got in return  Marco pointed towards his hat.

Ace's eyes went wide thinking something was messed up with his hat.  He jumped up and yanked his hat off.  Scanning it over his eyes landed on the black puff that stuck out against the vibrant orange.

After looking at it for a few seconds Ace reached out and grabbed the thing.  A black smudge was left on the hat where the thing once laid.  It felt light and chalky in Ace's hand.  He turned to talk to the other two to talk about it.

The three commanders focused their attentions on the ball.  Eventually they caught the attentions of a few other crewmembers and their father Whitebeard.

"What is it you boys are looking at?" Whitebeard's gruff voice asked.

"Uh, that's what we're trying to figure out-yoi."

A sound of interest resounded from the old man, and Ace dropped it into his father's hand.  Ace's hand was added to the list of things covered in the chalk like substance comming off the puffy thing. 

Whitebeard inspected the little thing in his hand that weighed nothing to the large man.  He was about to hand it back over to his son when it shifted.

Cheap!

Cheap!