MONSTER One-Shot: Djinn

Start from the beginning

    "No, no. It's fine. I'm fine, I promise. We're not cancelling with Sam and Jess again. We promised them that we would have this dinner and we are. Some headache isn't stopping that," Cassandra snapped. Dean held his hands up in surrender and took a step back. Cassandra sighed and shook her head. "I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean—"

    "It's fine." Dean rested his hands on her hips and pulled her towards him, leaning down and planting a kiss on her lips. "It's stress. I get it." She nodded. "Why don't you get going? I'll make sure the house is locked up and such," Dean suggested.

    "Yeah. Yeah, okay." She pecked a kiss on his lips before grabbing her red high heels and slipping them on. "I'll see you later for lunch?" Dean smiled warmly at the blonde.

    "Of course."

    "I love you."

    "I love you, too." Cassandra snatched her keys and phone from the dresser before racing out of the house, grabbing her purse on the hook next to the door in the process. Dean watched her unlock her Honda Civic and get in, slamming the door shut behind her. Once she was out of the driveway he picked up his phone and dialed the one number Cassandra had deleted two years earlier. They answered on the third ring.

    "Hello?" Dean turned, sucking in a sharp breath as he paced the length of the room.

    "Hey, it's Dean. Dean Winchester?"

    "Dean, hey," the man replied with a chuckle. "It's been awhile. How're the kids?" Dean nodded.

    "Good, they're good. Libby's six now and Connor's about to start middle school. They grow like weeds," Dean told him with a laugh. The man on the other line let out a low whistle.

    "That's good. They really do grow up fast. And Cassandra? I haven't talked to her in, hell, two, maybe three, years. How's she doing?" Dean nodded, glancing down at his bare feet as he walked. He looked up towards the empty space in the driveway from the bedroom window.

    "She's great. Just left for work actually. Listen, I know it's really short notice, but Sam, Jess, and my dad are coming over for dinner tonight. I thought that maybe you could come? Cassandra doesn't actually know my dad's coming so it's kind of a surprise. I thought you'd want to be there, too, for Jess and Cassy," Dean told him. The man let out a sigh on the other line. "Michael, I know you two haven't always gotten along but it might be good if you two talked. Sam and I'll be the peacekeepers. The kids want to see you." There was silence on the other line for a few moments.

    "Alright. Text me the address." Dean pumped his fist in the air in triumph. "Is Amanda going to be there, too?" Dean shook his head.

    "Nah, nah. She's just got the kids for the night. Her and, uh, Jess' dad are moving down to Florida soon so she wants to spend as much time with Libby and Connor as possible," Dean explained. Michael chuckled on the other line.

    "She always did talk about Florida for retirement. Yeah, what time do you want me to be there?" Dean glanced down at the black watch on his wrist.

    "I meet Cassy for lunch around twelve, so one-thirty? That way we have time to clean and get everything together. You were always good about this stuff. Plus I was hoping that we could clear the air between you two before the newly-weds show up," Dean replied with a chuckle.

    "Sounds good. I'll see you at one-thirty. Thank you, Dean. Really."

    "Of course. See you then." Michael hung up and the line went dead, a monotone dial tone feeding back from the phone. Dean shut off the device and sighed, running a hand through his hair. He had already called out of work for the day, letting Bobby get in some extra hours for him and Karen.  Now he just had to wait for John to arrive and help set everything up.