Chapter #24- How do mates make up after a lovers' spat?

Start from the beginning

"Whaaaa...?" When he doesn't say anything, I can't help but comment, "I thought that we agreed that the biggest mistake of your life was the day you lied to me about your non-existent mate and broke my little girl heart"

The comment that I made as a joke, mostly to get him out of whatever trance he's gotten himself in, ends up thickening the tension in the room.

Great. Can I ever say the right thing?!

"That night... Asher wanted me to mark you so badly... the urge... it was choking me, but I didn't do it... because I wanted to take things slow, the way humans do, as I reckoned that you'd not like for me to go all alpha-male on you..." He sounds so damn sad as he fesses, that it takes everything in me to keep myself from going to him and hugging him as tight as I can.

"I... I just wanted for you to forgive me and.... and love me, like I love you, so I leashed Ash, and I denied him his right-"

I gasp, "I appreciate that you didn't mark me that first night Alpha- I would've surely been very upset if you had-"

"At the moment, Mate" He hisses, "I can care less what you would've felt" He grits out turning to face me, and I get to see his eyes which are glimmering in the moonlight, their colour so dark and I know that he has a havoc wrecked in that brain of his.

"What's wrong Alp-?" I step towards him, and he takes a step back.

This momentarily shocks me.

Why is he stepping away from me? What did I do to him?!

"What did I do?" My voice sounds unrecognisable to my own ears. So beaten... so broken...

"Nothing!" He spits out, his face a mask of fury.

"Then why are-"

"And that's the fucking problem!" He continues his outburst.

"Excuse me?"

"You do nothing, Mate, and that's the fucking problem" He says in a calmer voice.

"But-"

"When it comes to your friends, you always do something, anything- to keep them happy and out of harm's way! You always make sure that you don't end up hurting them, but what about me? Why do I not get the same fucking treatment?! Why do you not care about me and my feelings like you do theirs?! Moon only knows that all my fucking miserable life I've not cared about anyone more than you!"

I don't reaize that I am crying until he hisses, "Will you please stop crying?!"

"But-"

"I don't care if you care about me... just... just don't cry. It makes me feel weak and helpless" His voice sets me off, and I am full on sobbing.

"I-I don't do anything to hurt you" I say, wiping my nose.

"Not intentionally, you don't" He nods standing rooted in his spot, his hands balled at his side and that makes me feel even more miserable.

"What is that suppose to mean?" I sniff.

"Just exactly what I meant" He says curtly.

"But what did I do to hurt you this time? Can you at least tell me that?" I am dedperate to know what set him off. I mean, if i know it now, I'll never do it again.

He laughs, a mirthless laughter, and the sound makes my heart clench and my chest ache.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask hesitantly.

"Because I feel like a fucking bastard" He says, his jaw clenhed.

"Huh?"

"I am pissed at something you did, and you don't even know what it us that you did. It's fucking silly of me, no? To take it to my heart when you clearly didn't mean it. You clearly didn't mean to hurt me... and I know it, but I still feel bad. I shouldn't. But I do..." He is rambling.