Chapter 41: 5.22.2 Swan Song

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. Me, too."

"Then why are we?" the devil questioned, slowly approaching his older brother.

"Oh, you know why! I have no choice, after what you did—"

"What I did?" Lucifer repeated in disbelief. "What if it's not my fault?"

Michael furrowed his eyebrows, cocking his head to the side. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Think about it. Dad made everything. Which means he made me who I am! God wanted the Devil," he yelled. Cassandra locked eyes with Michael for a moment and she hardened her glare on him. Somehow she saw Lucifer's point. God was cruel enough to force this upon them. They didn't have to do anything. He wasn't there to guide or stop them anymore. He abandoned them.

"So?" Michael asked after a moment of silence.

"So why? And why make us fight? I just can't figure out the point."

"What's your point?"

"We're going to kill each other, and your daughter could die in the crossfire. And for what? One of Dad's tests? And we don't even know the answer. We're brothers. Let's just walk off the chessboard," Lucifer reasoned. Cassandra's eyes widened and her head snapped towards Lucifer in disbelief. He was defending her. He meant his words. He cared for her more than anyone else realized, but why? What was so special about the Nephilim that made the Devil had feelings? Was Sam breaking through the surface or was this purely Lucifer?

"I'm sorry. I can't do that. I'm a good son, and I have my orders."

"But you don't have to follow them."

"What, you think I'm gonna rebel? Now? I'm not like you."

"Please, Michael—"

"You know, you haven't changed a bit, little brother. Always blaming everybody but yourself. We were together. We were happy. But you betrayed me – all of us – and you made our father leave."

"No one makes Dad do anything. He is doing this to us." Lucifer's voice rose and he pointed to the grass for emphasis. Cassandra glanced between the two brothers in anticipation. Was it possible for Michael to change his mind?

"You're a monster, Lucifer. And I have to kill you."

Lucifer glanced at Cassandra over his shoulder, hoping she'd stand by him on this. She was torn between three sides: help Lucifer and risk the world going to shit; help Michael and give in to the one person who betrayed and killed her; or risk her life fighting the both of them and die bloody. She pulled out her angel blade and closed her eyes, running her fingertips over the blade. She felt the weight increase and the blade morphed into the sword that she carried back at Bobby's. She was grateful for Castiel's training.

"If that's the way it's got to be," Lucifer started sadly, his gaze locked on the ground. He slowly looked up, a murderous rage in his hazel eyes. "Then I'd like to see you try."

Lucifer and Michael started to circle each other while Cassandra stood off to the side, waiting to jump in, when the familiar revving of a car engine caught her attention. Their heads snapped in the direction of the gate and the blonde's eyes widened at the sight of the Impala. Dean was stupid enough to come.

Rock of Ages started to blast out from the Impala's stereo, drifting across the cemetery towards the three celestial beings. Dean cut the engine and got out, leaning against the car's door with a smirk. "Howdy, boys...and Princess." Michael, Lucifer, and Cassandra all exchanged glances. "Sorry. Am I interrupting something?" Dean slammed the door shut and started to make his way over to the brothers, directing his attention to Lucifer. "Hey. We need to talk."