Anniversary

Office work had never been her dream job. In fact she had sworn she would never work in an office setting. It was too structured and stuffy for her taste. Yet here she was working monday to friday 9 to 5 in a cubicle and completely content in her life. Though it did leave few breaks for important things like anniversaries that happened to fall in the middle of the week.

Y/N and Brett had been married for almost 5 years, however this year's anniversary fell in the middle of the week and after getting the flu early in the year she couldn't afford to take many more days off. This meant the two would have to spend their anniversary apart the majority of the day.

She moped around the entire day missing Brett like crazy. She thought about how they got together in the first place, how she had been willing to just be friends but Brett had pushed for me. Now she was glad he did because she couldn't imagine a life where she wasn't married to that amazing man who had won her shy little heart all the way back in high school. She smiled as she thought of how he had looked in his lacrosse jersey and his school uniform. Those had been the days.

Over her lunch break she called him but from the tone of his voice when he picked up she could tell it was going to be a short call.

"Hey baby, what's up?" He asked quickly.

"Nothing, I'm just on my lunch break and missed your voice." She said in a soft voice.

Brett chuckled. "Ohhh it's almost like you like me, that must be so embarrassing for you."

Y/N rolled her eyes though she knew he couldn't see. "Brett, we're married."

"I know but still," The two laughed at the conversation, one they had had many times before Brett spoke again. "Listen I'm glad you called sweetheart, I'm not going to be able to pick you up from work today I'm staying late. Do you think you can take the bus?"

She took a deep breath and sighed. "Oh, yeah sure."

"I'm sorry, I know it's our anniversary but we can celebrate this weekend." He said quickly.

"Right." She agreed.

The line was silent for a moment before Brett spoke again. "Anyway I've gotta go I'll see you later on tonight, I love you."

"I love you too."

"Bye baby."

"Bye." She hung up and wiped the tears that had fallen from her eyes and went back to work.

The rest of the day she thought about that phone call, about how unimportant it seemed to him. Brett had always been the primary affection giver in the relationship, while it certainly wasn't a one sided relationship he was the driving force that brought them together. He was always the most excited when it came to anniversaries and it was so add for him to brush it off like this. To be honest, it hurt. It hurt her to think that maybe after all these years together he didn't find her special anymore. She thought about it all day. She thought about it until her head hurt. She thought about it until it was time to go home for the night.

She got in the elevator and began to ride it down to the lobby with several of her co-workers when a song came on over the sound system, one of her favorites. So she swayed a bit to the melody of the song all the way down to the lobby floor. The doors slowly opened and she dreaded not hearing the end of the song. It was their song and she sure did need a good long listen to it after the day she had. She watched as the doors opened and much to her shock and dismay Brett stood in the middle of the lobby, dressed head to toe in a fitted suit, holding a bouquet of fresh flowers, smiling his bright perfect smile at her. Her eyes welled up in tears as she walked slowly towards him, wrapping her arms around him once he was only inches away.

"I thought you said you weren't coming." She said, the sound muffled by Brett's chest that her face was now buried in.

"I lied." He chuckled, now rubbing her back with his free.

She giggled and looked up at him. "I see that."

"Hey, don't cry. I'm here now." He pushed her hair back and smiled at her. "Let's go dinner's on me."

"We're married." She insisted.

"Okay, dinner's on us." He kissed the top of her head then grasped her hand tightly and together they walked hand in hand towards a very nice surprise anniversary dinner.