Meet Cute

She struggled to keep her eyes open as she walked up and down the aisles for the fluorescently lit store. It was nearing midnight and only a few stragglers lingered through the grocery section. Most held baskets filled with a handful of items. She had been working late on a story, she was half way through the sixth chapter when her stomach roared with hunger and when the trip to the kitchen turned up empty her only option was to take a trip to the store.

So here she was, walking up and down the aisles filling her cart with anything that looked appetizing which in that moment was everything. Her head filled with thoughts of her story, of the heroin falling in love with the hero, of beautiful settings and believable villains. She was in a world all her own, hardly noticing a single patron she passed or item she placed in her cart. Just as she got to the part in her story where her plot was beginning to peak her hand brushed against something that felt less like food packaging and more like a human hand.

Torn from her fantasies she looked towards the hand that was grasping the bag of grapes currently held tightly in her grip. Her eyes moved from the large hand up a muscular arm and finally landed on a handsome face. Her eyes widened and shock began to present itself on her features and the only thing running through her mind was how this, this exact moment, this was her meet cute. She had watched every romantic comedy under the sun and she had seen her fair share of meet cutes and someone else's and this was a meet cute if she ever saw one.

She gawked at him for a long moment as he looked between their hands, both grasping the last bag of red grapes, and her face that mimicked that of a deer in headlights.

"Could you let go of my grapes please?" He asked nicely, gently tugging on the bag.

Her eye widened and she gasped. "Excuse me, your grapes? I clearly have more hand space on the bag. That makes them my grapes." They each looked down to see they held about the same amount of grip on the bag despite his hand being much larger.

The man rolled his eyes. "These are the only red grapes in the store. Come on, I need these grapes." He pleaded with her.

She huffed, "There are perfectly acceptable green grapes right there, I'm starving and these are my grapes damn it!" She said pointing towards the abundent amount of green grapes directly next to the bag they were currently fighting over.

He narrowed his eyes and stared at her hoping that this woman would just let go of the bag but after nearly a full minute of her grip growing tighter he let go of the bag. "Fine fine whatever take the grapes." He rolled his eyes and grabbed a bag of green grapes as she started to walk away.

She was only a few steps away when she turned around and looked at him again. He was attractive and she couldn't imagine never seeing him again, I mean what's the point of a meet cute if it doesn't become something more than two strangers meeting. So instead of walking away she spoke again. "You could, come over and have some of my grapes if you wanted." She offered, mentally rolling her eyes at the obserd offer.

He turned and gave her a questioning look. "Now? It's after midnight. Doesn't really seem like grape eating time."

"Tomorrow then? Say 4 ish? That's usually when I eat my grapes and pretend I'm eating a real meal." She said with a slight laugh as if she were joking, she wasn't.

"How about I do you one better?" He asked, she turned in face slightly indicating for him to continue. "How about I take you out to dinner instead. You can make up for taking my grapes." Now that was an offer she could get behind.

She smiled and nodded happily. "Okay. Let me give you my number, unless you'd rather meet here of course."

He smiled and handed her the phone. "I'll take the number but I'd be happy to meet you here anytime. As long as next time I get the grapes."

"We'll see about that Mr,-" She began, realizing only now that she didn't know his name.

"Talbot. Brett Talbot." He answered with a smile taking back his phone.

"Well we'll see about that Mr. Talbot." And with that she turned around a walked away, a wide smile painted on her face, as she plucked a few grapes from the bag and popped them into her mouth, more than pleased with her victory and her very own meet cute.