Qualified

I had been well over a month since Y/N started being tutored in math by Brett, while the first few times had been awkward with each of them sending small digs at the other, after the first few meetings things seemed to go smoothly. They actually had a lot of common interests, both had eclectic tastes in music, both were interested in animal rights as well as other activism causes, and most importantly they both enjoyed the others company. Soon it wasn't just meeting up in the library to study it was meeting up after school, during lunch, he often asked Y/N to come to his practices and then they would just spend time hanging out together after. Their friendship was progressing quickly and it wasn't long before they both seemed to be feeling something more for the person across the table.

Y/N currently sat across from Brett, her back to the widows his back to the doors, each of them looking over notes talking quietly at they studied. After school today she was meant to be taking a test, a test that would determine if she would pass or fail math class, and while Brett had originally promised to be there when she got out he was instead stuck playing a scrimmage game that evening and the two hour practice before was mandatory and directly coincided with Y/N's test. So he was trying to make up for his lack of presence by helping with her last minute study session.

"So, when you divide each side by two you're left with what x equals. What does x equal?"

"6.33"

"Perfect, you are going to do great. I have so much faith in you and I really am sorry I won't be there when you get out."

"It's fine, I understand. Maybe I'll come see the game after." Y/N began packing up her things to head to her test, Brett sat still just watching her smile as she packed her things into her bag.

"You can if you want to, don't feel obligated though. You can just give me a call when you get out and let me know how you did, leave a voicemail if I don't answer."

"I can do that, though I don't know if he'll grade it right away or not it could be a few days, either way I'll call or show up." With that Y/N quickly leaned over the table, pecking Brett on the cheek before walking away. It wasn't until she was out of the door to the library that she realized what she had done. Her eyes went wide and she stopped breathing for a moment, it had been an accident but she wasn't sure how much of an accident it was or how it would effect her relationship with Brett. She leaned against the wall for a moment unsure of what to do before she decided just to forget about it and head to her test. And whatever she did, don't think about Brett.

Brett on the other hand, while he had been just as shocked as she was, couldn't stop from smiling. A goofy grin spread across his face and he was sure he looked like a dork but he didn't care, his cheeks were certainly red and the smile was starting to hurt his face but he couldn't help it. He was into this girl and she had just kissed him, sure it was on the cheek but that totally counts for something. He didn't have too much time to think about it though as he needed to get to the locker room. Coach had been on him recently for missing practices and team workouts, and while everything he missed had been optional it wasn't something he normally did. He normally spent every spare second he had either working out or practicing lacrosse, even going as far as to poke fun at anyone who missed them, especially over a girl. And yet here he was, doing the exact thing he used to barrage his teammates about, skipping optionals for a girl.

He still had the grin on his face when he entered the locker room and while everyone was suspicious no one had enough nerve to ask him what he was so happy about and instead just made their way out to the field for practice, Brett following close behind, still smiling.

Y/N was a wreck the entire walk to the test room. She couldn't believe she had done that, she kissed Brett but not even a real kiss, a kiss on the cheek like you would give your mom or a friend, defiantly not someone you were possibly interested in dating. Y/N liked Brett a lot and she kind of always had, I mean look at him he is rather attractive, but the more she got to know him it became more than just an idol crush. She really liked him and she was sure she blew it. She also couldn't seem to remember a single thing he had taught her and so now she was going to blow this test too and end up in public school, go to community college and end up as a waitress at Dave and Busters for the rest of her life. She was sure of it. Until she took a look at the test, then it was like a wave of knowledge came over her. She was the only one in the test room aside from her teacher and that just made everything easier on her.

"You have an hour and a half to finish the test, good luck, please use all the time."

Y/N used every last second of the time but she was confident in every answer she gave. At the end of the time she handed in her test and as she was about to walk away her teacher held her back.

"If you wait just a moment I'll grade your test now and you can see how you did." So Y/N stood quietly just outside the door for what felt like centuries and her mind began to wander back to Brett. His game would be starting soon and she wasn't sure if she would go or not, not what after happened in the library. Would he still want her to go? Y/N was pulled from these thoughts when the door opened, her math teacher handed her the paper without a word or any indication of anything and walked away. She took a deep breath before looking down at the paper that could decide everything. She passed. She didn't just pass, she got an A. She was so ecstatic she couldn't even remember the library and ran toward the field to tell Brett.

Brett stood off to the side of the field getting his gear on, thinking about Y/N, about the kiss, about her test about how it would be if she didn't need a tutor anymore. Half way through practice he started to second guess everything, did the kiss really mean anything? Was it just a friendly thing? He wasn't even sure he was happy about it, though he remembered loving the feel of her lips against his ski and he craved it like nothing before. He was straightening out his jersey, getting ready to put on his helmet when he heard someone calling his name from somewhere near the school. He looked up to see Y/N running towards the field, her bag flopping back and forth against her body, waving a piece of paper in the air, her smile bright and wide. He just stood there watching her run towards him as she got closer her chants changed from 'Brett, Brett' to 'I passed, I passed'. She continued to run towards him, throwing herself into his arms as he wrapped them around her, lifting her from the ground.

"That's amazing! I'm so proud-" He couldn't even finish his sentence before her lips were on his. It was only a split second before she pulled away and trying to squirm her way out of his arms. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Down. I want to have my feet firmly planted on the ground when I say this." Brett gently set her on the ground and waited for her to speak. "Okay so, I'm sorry about the library earlier. Not that I kissed you but that I kissed you on the cheek. I like you Brett, I enjoy your company and your friendship and I think you and I just work well together. I understand if you don't like me, but I would kick myself forever if I didn't tell you." Brett wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close.

"Well, seeing as you don't really need a tutor anymore, I'm going to have to find another excuse to spend time with you. So what do you say to a date? Cause I like you too."

"A date works."

"Great, I'll call you after the game?"

"Are you kidding? I'll be right here watching you, Mister Brain and Brawn." Brett smiled leaning down to kiss her cheek before pulling away and running toward the field. He turned out to be a much better tutor than Y/N had originally thought.