Treat You Better

She sat at her desk, typing away on her computer when she heard a car door slam. Quickly looking up she saw Brett walking up the path to her front door. She rushed to finish her sentence, adding her punctuation as he knocked on her bedroom door. "Come on in!" She turned her chair around to face Brett standing in her doorway, in two steps he was in front of her leaning down to give her a hug before moving to fall back onto her bed. Y/N rolled her eyes and turned back to her computer screen, reading over what she had just written. She once again read over the sentence she had heard just a few hours before 'You're such a bitch, if it wasn't for me no one would ever love you. You should be grateful' Michael had said it to her just before she got out of his car. They had been dating for six months and for the last three he had been pushing her to have sex, while every time she would tell him no he had begun to resort to harsher tactics. She knew it wasn't right but this hadn't been the first time he had said it and some part of her knew it wouldn't be the last, she was beginning to believe what he was saying. She was so wrapped up in her own thoughts that she had forgotten Brett was in the room until he was quickly reading over her shoulder. She slammed the computer shut but it was too late, he had already seen the harsh words that had been used against her.

Brett was by no means a fan of Michael. In fact he had been saying for months that he was no good for Y/N and that he just wasn't right for her. Y/N chalked it up to the grudge Brett held against her boyfriend from a few years ago when he got in a fight with their lacrosse coach, while it hadn't been as bad as Liam's fight it was heated enough for Michael to earn a two week in school suspension. But recently his words were laced with emotions, it was more than just a dislike for Michael it was something far more and now he had even more of a reason to hate Michael. The two sat in silence for a moment before Brett spoke up, now sitting on the edge of her bed.

"How long has he been saying those things to you?" Y/N took a deep breath, willing the tears that had been hiding behind her eyes for hours to just stay put.

"A couple month." Her tears didn't listen and were soon flooding her face as she began to sob, turning around in her chair and crawling on the bed beside Brett. He wrapped his arms around her, soothing her with his words. When her sobs finally turned into sniffles Brett pulled Y/N closer and kissed her forehead.

"You know I would treat you so much better than he does." Y/N rolled her eyes before snuggling closer to her best friend.

"You just say that because you hate him." A laugh rolled to Brett's chest causing Y/N to move slightly as it did.

"Actually it's because I love you?" She pulled away to look at him.

"Oh really? Since when?"

"Like three seconds ago," The two laughed for a long time before he spoke again with a light grin on his face. "Actually I don't know exactly when I fell in love with you. There is no point in my memory that I can say this was before I was in love with her and this was after. I think I've always loved you. That's why I know I can treat you better than him, because he wants you for sex and I wanted you when I wasn't even sure what sex was," The room was quiet for a few moments, the two of them soaking in the words that had been said. "I'm not saying you have to leave him for me, I just want you to know that if you decide to leave him you aren't going to be alone. You have more options for love than just him." Y/N nodded, not sure of what else to say. The two of them spent the rest of the night making small talk and laughing and as Brett walked out the door she called him back.

"You know, if I did leave him, I wouldn't come running right to you right? I would need some time." Brett smiled at her before walking over to her and kissing her forehead once again.

"Take all the time you need, I would wait an eternity for you."