Knives in the Hands of the Caterpillar

Start from the beginning

"Purple is the color that leads to misery. Red and blue mix and fit but one deceives. The sun from above burns the one who hides."

You were never good at riddles, so having to answer one was most concerning. This wasn't just a mere riddle. It held your life on the line and the wrong choice would mean some horrendous death. There was no speck of desire in you to be killed by that thing, or killed at all for that matter. It remaining still was enough to cause fear in you and you didn't want to imagine it moving. The mere thought chilled you, as you felt Lucian release his grip on you. Turning to face you, he rested his hands on your shoulders and gave you a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry. We'll solve this and make it through."

"I'm not the best at riddles, Lucian, though; I think we should take a closer look at the knives."

"Yes, I was thinking that as well."

Going over to the creature, whose eyes followed your every move, you examined the three knives. You did your best to ignore its gaze, which unnerved you greatly. Analyzing the knives, you saw that none of the knives had colors on them, making the clues seem rather useless. The only clue that might give some insight was the last one, but then again that referenced the red and blue knives. Whichever one deceived was the one that burned and was the wrong choice. Lucian glanced over at you, seeming to ask you if you had any ideas. Telling him your idea, he nodded in agreement before looking at the knives once more.

"Yes, that makes sense. I think that we should figure out which one is the purple knife first, though, since we know that is the wrong one. Purple is formed by red and blue, which 'mix and fit'. There's no doubt that it's the middle knife. Thus the right choice is either the red or blue, or rather top or bottom."

"Right, but how can we know which one is false?" you questioned until you remembered a certain word in the clue.

"That is what I am wondering. There's got to be an easy way to figure that out..."

"I've got it!"

"Please, explain then."

"The clue mentioned the word 'above' right? The sun can only burn what is below it, implying that the bottom one is the other wrong choice. Also I just remembered that the right choice is the blade that has not shed blood. Red is the color of blood, so it hides in the slaughter of its kills."

Casting a gaze your way, Lucian seemed to ponder this before saying, "Yes, I believe that you're right."

Glad that you had actually helped solve a riddle, you smiled for a moment before you began to grow nervous once more. If for some reason you had read the clues wrong then you would be killed. Would Lucian be able to fight that thing? What if it was immune to magic like the creature back in the sanatorium? Questions rung through your mind, as you watched Lucian reach for the top blade. The strange creature's eyes followed Lucian's hand with an unblinking gaze. Clinching your teeth while your hands slightly trembled, you hoped the top blade was the right choice. Resting his hand on the blade, Lucian exhaled and inhaled before gripping the handle. Pulling it from the creature's hand, Lucian took a step back and a horrendous silence filled the space. You held your breath, waiting for what would happen next. Silence ensued before the creature raised the remaining blades in its hands. Closing your eyes, expecting them to be thrown at you or sliced across you, you were surprised to hear metal clang against the stone flooring. Scraping followed afterwards, as the creature on its pedestal moved to the side, allowing you two passage to what lay beyond.

Opening your eyes, you breathed a sigh of relief before quickly following after Lucian further down the hallway. Leaving the creature behind, you felt your heart return to ease, but you were still cautious. Anything could come down the remaining hallway and it being nearly impossible to see didn't help. Due to this possibility, you found yourself quickening your pace. Almost immediately though, Lucian summoned a ball of light similar to the one he summoned back in the sanatorium. This calmed you a bit, but you were still on edge, wanting to be rid of this hallway.

Up ahead, you could see a door and your pace quickened more. You almost ran to the door, which was made of wood and held a simple appearance. Its rusted knob looked as though it was about to fall off and when you carefully turned it, the knob broke off. Hope dashed away, leaving you wanting to crumble to the floor in frustration. Resting his right hand on your left shoulder gently, Lucian signaled for you to move away from the door. Doing so, you saw him place the blade from the creature into the place where the knob had been. A clicking sound echoed down the hallway behind you, but you were eagerly waiting to get on the other side of that door. As if in response to your wish, it opened slowly, letting in a field of light. Standing to the side, Lucian allowed you to exit the hallway first.

Standing now in the lighted room from before, you took a moment to just let your mind relax. Hearing Lucian close the door behind him, he walked next to you and seemed to look for the next place to go before extinguishing the ball of light. Looking around you, you saw the white chiffon curtains next to you, blowing in the nonexistent wind. The main doors were only feet from you and you eagerly went forward until Lucian held you back. Giving him a questioning look, he shook his head.

"There's a field that I cannot break, separating us from that door. We'll need to take another way."

Of course, that was the case. Your attention focused on the steps leading to another set of double doors. They held an identical appearance to the ones that were on the ground floor. You only hoped that they wouldn't lead to a similar situation like before or something worse. This thought worried you, but you knew you had to press forward. Reaching the balcony that overlooked the ground level; you rested your hands on the railing and took another breather. The light of the nearby lights seemed to calm you. Taking in their comforting warmth, you sighed once more before turning back around. Resting his hand on the brass doorknob, Lucian pulled the door back and entered with you trailing behind him.