I returned the stern look with my own before sighing. She began grinning widely in response, knowing I was going to give in to her anyways.

The things I do for this girl, I swear.

"Fine. Show me the tag", I mumbled, taking a hold of her ankle and sussing out the device for myself. After a few minutes of fumbling with it, I looked back up at her.

"It's possible to take it off pretty easily, but there's a heat sensor on this one. I'd say you have about 10-15 seconds before the alarm is triggered, sending a message straight to the system. Basically, you're gonna have to replace your own leg with someone else's", I explained bluntly, looking her in the eyes.

She snorted, nodding to herself with a slight smile on her face.

I shook my head at her, my own smile forming. Throughout my life I've met all sorts of people, but one thing's for sure, I've never met anyone as strange as Ivy. She had an innocent face but was an actual trouble magnet, making it seem like she went around looking for it on purpose.

"Okay, I've got a person", she spoke up, taking her leg off my lap. I shuffled in my seat to look at her excited face. I smiled at her, waiting for her to carry on.

"Who have you picked then?"

"Alice", she laughed. I burst out laughing at that, covering my eyes with my hands before brushing my hair back. Alice was in our classes at school and Ivy hated her guts, and by chance she happened to live next door to Ivy too.

"Why her?", I asked curiously, the grin still on my face.

"Oh come on, Jace. Her Dad's the reason why all this mess happened in the first place. And just look at her. She's pathetic. No offence by the way, I know she's your crush", she joked with me. I shoved her gently, telling her to shush.

"Just because Alice likes me does not mean she's my crush", I told her, trying to be half-serious through the laughs.

"So the high and mighty Jace does have a crush, huh?", she teased me, laughing at my deflated expression. I scoffed.

"Wouldn't you like to know", I mocked her, grinning when she punched my arm.

I wrapped my arm around her neck ruffling her hair before letting her go. She flicked me on the forehead and I rubbed the spot.

"All right, I gotta run now", I told her, standing up from the sofa.

"Okay. When are you gonna be free next?", she asked me.

"I'll be back with my tools tomorrow", I answered, saying bye before walking out the door.

The next morning Ivy texted me to go over to her house. I went into my little sisters room, kissing her forehead as she slept in the early hours of Sunday morning. I left the quiet house and arrived at Ivy's within 10 minutes, toolbox in hand.

Seeing Ivy in a better state than yesterday gave me a piece of mind like you wouldn't believe. Whether she thought I was a good friend or not, she was probably the only real friend I had. I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to cope without her, my own life being too hectic for me to handle sometimes. So for that, I really couldn't have asked for a better friend than Ivy Rodman.

Sure, I had some friends here and there, but none of them turned out as fabulous as my childhood enemy.

"Feeling better today?", I asked her after setting my stuff down. I scanned her face for any dry tears, frowning when I saw bags under her eyes instead. Symptoms of intense crying were evident all over her face.