Chapter 10: The Second Parting

Start from the beginning

"And what if you encounter the Black Knight?"

Selvina's resolve began to crumble as she thought of that. As great a warrior as Ruslan was he was no match for such a force of destruction. The Black Knight had fought Frenis' best and had come out stronger than ever. If it was somewhere under the sea and it detected her on the ship to Kenmard, she'd be endangering Cindy and Ruslan's lives as well as her own. She saw the reasoning of staying behind but did not enjoy the thought of it at all.

After several minutes of silence, Cindy offered Selvina a weak smile. "It's ok, Selvina. Merlin is right. It's better for everyone if you stay here where you're protected."

Selvina eyed Cindy and then glanced to Red and Jack, their expressions showing support and understanding. With a heavy sigh she grabbed her pack and swung it overboard before sliding off the bench's edge and landing on the ground.

"We'll be back before you know it," Red said with an encouraging smile. "Spring will come soon enough and we'll be there to see it with you."

Selvina, red-faced and furious, grabbed one her bag's straps and dragged it behind her as she stomped off, heading back to the inn. She was about to leave it all at that when sense broke through, took hold, and she stopped. Her best friends would be leaving her for weeks, perhaps months, and she couldn't have a childish tantrum be the last thing they received from her.

Dropping her bag, she hurried back to her friends, leapt onto the wagon, and opened her arms wide. Jack, Red, and Cindy wasted no time rushing in and wrapping their arms around one another for one huge hug.

"You all better come back," Selvina said, fighting a losing battle against tears. "I can't afford to lose any more friends. Please, promise me you'll all come back."

"We promise," Red, Jack, and Cindy said simultaneously.

The four friends held the hug for many minutes and during that time Belle arrived, smiling up at them fondly. She said nothing, not wanting to break the moment.

"Are you coming to the port?" Jack asked Selvina as she climbed down from the wagon. "Will you see us off?"

She shook her head. "No...I want to remember this moment, Jack. I don't want to see you sail away like Rapunzel, Wendy, and Goldi. Their time here is over. Not yours."

Red and Cindy nodded in understanding.

Jack, however, leapt off the wagon and grabbed Selvina's hands in his, his eyes firmly fixed on hers. He eyed her wordlessly for several moments, uncharacteristically silent.

After it was becoming awkward, Selvina raised an eyebrow. "What is it, Jack?"

He didn't reply for another minute. "I want to remember your face, Selvina. If I'm going to be away from you for a while I want to make sure I can remember every detail about you, down to the last freckle."

Selvina blushed and felt a pleasant rush of warmth pulse throughout her body. A great smile grew on her face and, for a moment, she forgot that other people were around. Her eyes lowered to Jack's lips. "This should help," she breathed before leaning forward and kissing him firmly.

A delightful shudder crept up Selvina's spine as the kiss was held. Jack wrapped his arms around Selvina and held her close, drowning her in his body heat and scent. She relished it all and kissed even harder, eliciting a slight moan. She could feel the cold touch of a tear roll down her cheek despite the rest of her body glowing with heat.

When their lips parted she whispered through a breath, "You should stay..."

Jack replied with a light sniff and a smirk—that wonderful smirk. "You're making it difficult to leave."