Chapter 32 - A City of Statues

Start from the beginning

"Well, erm, ah, I guess that makes sense then." His father coughs a little.

Oh god, this is SO awkward, even though Lyke and I weren't in the forest having a secret tryst, it certain feels like we did now.

"Why don't you two go and get cleaned up." His mother smiles, mirroring my own embarrassed expression.

"I'll go and use the shower, if that's alright?" I ask, desperately wanting to leave the room.

His parents nod.

"Why, of course Ashlyn, you know where it is."

I smile shyly, "Thank you."

Lyke is about to follow me up the stairs when his father taps him on the shoulder.

"Son, a word?"

My eyes widen and I walk quickly up the stairs before I have to hear any of the conversation that is bound to come next. All I know is that Lyke will probably kill me after this.

There's no point in showering, so I walk into Lyke's bedroom and search for his P.E. bag while his parents talk to him. I glance out the window and spot the tip of an arrow glinting in the bush where I stashed my weapons.

I eventually find his bag poking out from under his bed and busy myself by emptying it for the next couple of minutes.

How much stuff does a guy need in this thing? There's different sports tops, shorts, two pairs of trainers, deodorant, strapping tape, hair gel, a toothbrush?!

Boys never cease to amaze me.

"I don't know whether to thank you or growl at you right now!" Lyke sighs as he enters his room, to find me holding his empty duffle bag as I sit on the edge of his bed.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I just thought it would be easier if we spun our tale that way..." I explain, tossing the bag towards him.

He catches it and loops it over his shoulder.

"Did they give you the-"

"Safe sex talk? Yes." He groans, cutting me off and running a hand through his coffee-coloured hair.

I can't help sniggering at the thought, of poor Lyke, I'm a terrible friend. That's probably the last thing he needed after everything that has happened.

"It's going to be even more awkward when they find out we're not dating..." He adds, walking over to his bedroom window and pushing it open.

I get up from the end of his bed and come to stand beside him.

"Yeah, sorry about that, you're like my brother!"

He cocks his head and smiles at me, "Thanks sis."

"Come on then, let's go stop a monster."

Lyke jumps from his bedroom window, softly hitting the pebbled driveway below. I follow after him and collect my bow and sheath of arrows from their hiding spot before leaping onto his back.

Macy.

You are no match for four Olympians.

~~~

The city screams tonight.

It flashes crimson and cobalt.

It turns to stone.

Lyke runs past the stone figures of hundreds of people on the waterfront as we search for Luca, Asthore and Callia. We find them inside one of the late-night coffee shops, sitting at an empty table, the rest are filled with the frozen figures of strangers.