Chapter 22 - Long Sips and Baggy Knits

Začať od začiatku

Although the serious look on her face right now suggests otherwise.

"Anyway, have you figured out which dashing beau you're taking to prom yet?"

I shake my head.

"God, you're indecisive!" She groans, dramatically placing her head in her hands. "If you leave it another day they'll all be taken!"

"Sorry." I sigh, "Who's already taken?"

Ash bites her lip a little as she thinks, "Err...Selina is going with Damian, then there's Tiger and Venus and Georgie is taking Asthore."

"So that leaves, Lyke, Andrew, Luca and Marco, if you count him. From our group, anyway." I reply.

She nods, "Yeah."

"So, who are you going with then?" I ask.

I mean, she could be taking someone outside of our group of friends, but I'm not too sure.

She looks away from me for a split second, but it's significant enough for me to know that something is up.

"Well, Lyke asked me. He said he gave you a day, but you didn't get back to him..."

Oh.

I completely forgot about that.

I've been so caught up in everything else, that I forgot about the time limit that Lyke gave me to go to Prom with him.

I guess I can't be angry, I mean, he shouldn't be waiting on someone like me. Someone who is rude enough not to get back to him about his offer.

"That's fine, Ashlyn At least you'll have a lot of fun with him! Please tell him I'm terribly sorry about not getting back to him..."

She smiles at me, "Sure thing. I know you've been a bit down recently, but I promise I'll give him a great night out. Are you alright Amber?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I ask, a defensive tone oozing into my voice despite my best efforts to repress it.

Ashlyn motions towards me.

"My point exactly. I just want to make sure you're ok."

"I am."

She lets out a sarcastic chuckle, "Sure...Anyway, pick someone to go with, before they're all gone!"

I was originally hoping Luca would ask me, but after my revelation the other day, I think I've already made up my mind.

"Can I just go solo?" I ask.

Ashlyn's eyes widen.

"But why?"

"Because I don't need a guy on my arm to have a good time at prom? Isn't that reason enough."

"I guess...It's just that, well..." She starts.

"Come on, tell me."

"I know Andrew was thinking of asking you. He just hasn't seen you recently, so he hasn't gotten around to it."

Well, I guess I didn't see that coming.

I do quite like Andrew, but I think I've got to stick to my gut feeling here.

I'm going solo.

Final decision.

A guy is going to have to put out a limb for me to get anywhere from now on. I'm perfectly happy being independent.

"I really appreciate the offer, and Andrew is such a sweetheart, but I think I'll go alone." I tell her. My decision is final.

"Ok then, you can tell him that. I think there were a bunch of girls that wanted to go with him, but he rejected them all because he wanted to take you...I think he was trying to find the right way to ask you." She explains, lacing her fingers together. She clearly wants her step brother to be happy, and I've always liked Andrew...