Chapter 1

Shanti grew up in a tradition based family. Being the last child, and only daughter, gets tough. Her two older brothers, Carter and Kane, were already married off. Being Distalian is not easy. The children were grown up to be married and sold off to the highest paying suitor. Those who were not sold married each other produced offspring to continue the tradition.

     This has been drilled into Shanti's head since she was five. Her parents have kept her as pure as freshly fallen snow – as virginity raises the price on her head. Although she has reservations against being sold, she does as she is told like every Distalian child.

*Fifteen years later*

     Today is the day. I stare at the ceiling and sigh. Should I be excited or dread every moment of it? Ugh, I don't know what to do. Should I detest my future husband, or should I welcome him with open arms? I know I have had years to come to terms with this, but how does one simply accept being sold and taken away from the life they've know?

     As if your life is all that great, the snarky voice in my mind hisses at me. Though it had a point, I couldn't help but think of what life would be like if I don't get purchased. The word felt poisonous on my tongue.

     I can not risk not going through with this. It will bring shame to me and my family. If I don't, I won't have the right to be called a Distalian. 

     I got up and slipped into my robe. Might as well go shower before the doctor comes to check on me..... again, I thought to myself. I made my way to the bathroom and sat on the edge of the tub and turned on the warm water.

     "Remember my sweet child, the more you pamper yourself, the easier it shall be to find a high paying suitor." My mother always told me as she would pour fragrances and oils into my bath water. I still do it now.

      I get into the tub and let the warm water cleanse me of my worries. I wonder what he'll be like, I think to myself. There was a gentle knock on the bathroom door that interrupted my thoughts. 

     "Shanti, the doctor is here to check on you," my mother's voice was muffled by the door. I sighed. I could hear how giddy she was despite how calm her tone was.

     "Yes mother, I will just be a few more minutes." I say. I sit in the tub for a brief moment longer before getting out, and wrapping myself with a thick, fluffy robe. I ran my fingers through my long dark brown hair, untangling it.

     I step back into my room to find my mother sitting on my bed in her traditional wear and the doctor sitting on one of the chairs in the far corner of my room. Upon my entrance the doctor stands.

      I give him a polite smile. "Let's get this over with, shall we?" I asked, and the doctor nodded his head vigorously.

     My routine check ups were held in my bed chamber under Mama's watchful eye. The doctor - I am unaware of this one's name, Mama usually switches doctors after a few visits - begins his assessment on my physical health. After what seems like hours, the doctor tells my mother what I already knew –everything is fine. 

     Then Mama escorts us to the room next to mine. I hated that bloody dreadful room. Anyways, I got on the examination chair, and put my feet in the stir-ups. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. Attempting to keep my composure proved to be hard, as the doctor checked me. I clenched my teeth as he poked and prodded.

     This is honestly ridiculous! What could I have done to change the last verdict when I'm stuck here under watchful eyes?! At least once I'm married to my owner I won't have to do this every two weeks, I thought to myself. I sighed in relief when the doctor proclaimed himself to be done.