FIVE | J.K. WAS HERE

Juliet's eye lids were heavy as she struggled to keep them open. The night had somehow crept into the early hours of the morning and she had yet to allow herself to fall asleep. Sitting cross-legged on her perfectly made bed, Juliet forced herself to stay awake and continue to read her grandfather's journal. Unfortunately, each entry got harder to harder to read as his somewhat decent handwriting slowly diminished to squiggly lines throughout the entries. The book was dense, spanning over nearly twenty years, and it seemed as the older Aaron Knight got, the hastier his hand writing got, as if he was desperate to write everything down before he forgot. 

Or maybe the more insane he got the messier his thoughts got, Juliet thought sorrowfully to her self as she finished another entry about a monster slaying knight. 

Juliet knew very few things about her family. While she loved her father with all of her heart, she strongly disliked the fact that he never shared much information about their ancestors. Unlike other kids who grew up with an abundance of aunts and uncles and cousins, Juliet got an unnecessary amount of step-moms and a neglected knowledge of her own bloodline. What little things she did know, though, is that there was bad blood between her father, Matthew Knight, and her grandfather, Aaron Knight.  All she really knew about the latter of the two was that he was the reason her father had originally left Beacon Hills and refused to return until a month ago.  

After Juliet's mother had died, Matthew had packed what they needed and took his young daughter away from the town. The day they left wasn't even a memory to Juliet, just a story her father refused to go in to details about. She always assumed it was because her mother had gotten sick shortly after, and her dad associated the whole timeline with the loss of his love. But now Juliet realized there must be more to the story. 

When she had been a little girl and her father told her in vague off-handed comments that her grandfather had been a crazy old man she'd been lucky not to know, she'd imagined and old, hunched over decrepit old man that yelled at everything and was nasty for no real reason. She imagined his crazy to be the same crazy as so many other people's grandfathers who when they started getting old and losing his memory it just made him into a nasty pessimist. She just kind of assumed that he was mean to her father and her father had had enough and packed up there things and took Juliet and her mother out of a bad situation. 

She'd always admired her fathers strength in leaving his boyhood home to make the best of the rest of his limited time with his wife and daughter. But now Juliet had this awful feeling that instead her father had abandoned a crazy old man because it was the easy choice. Juliet tried to shake the thought, it was too negative for her to want to remember, but she couldn't quite get it out of her mind. 

But as Juliet read the journal, she realized that her grandfather wasn't a typical senile old man, either. His insanity was an entire different brand of it's own. She'd only taken a single psychology class her sophomore year, but as she read her limited knowledge of mental disorders was tugged at with a scary force and she wondered if he had some sort of schizophrenia or personality disorder or both or even something else entirely. Her heart heavy for a man she'd never met, she wondered sadly if he'd ever gotten help for any of this. She wondered how the abandonment of his only son and only granddaughter had impacted his disorder. Then, with a sickening feeling in her gut, she wondered what awful thing had happened to him to have him taken away from his home, the only thing he had left? And, even worse, what happened between him and her father that was so bad that her dad refused to return until now?