TWO | THE TEN STEP PLAN

CHAPTER TWO | THE TEN STEP PLAN

Two weeks into her new job, and Juliet Knight had already impacted Beacon Hills Veterinary Clinic for the better. She was both a people and an animal person, and she never ceased to amaze Scott and Deaton with her sheer enthusiasm. On top of coming in every day with a bright smile on her face, she also always came in to the office with something for herself and the others. Today, it was homemade blueberry muffins. 

Unfortunately, this particular day had been busier then most, and the veterinary crew hadn't been able to take a moment to appreciate the tasty treat until lunch break came around. And by then, Juliet and the others were nearly too tuckered out after wrestling down a Great Dane that was scared of everything, along with an ancient Bloodhound that refused to move for his check-up, and lastly a particularly feisty long-haired cat, among other things their job entailed, that the trio thought they'd need something more then some blueberry muffins to get them through the rest of the day. 

"I have an idea," Deaton said to Scott and Juliet after he finished up a nurturing surgery on a beagle. "Archie is shaping up pretty nicely after his surgery, his owner is supposed to pick him later today. Why don't you two take him on one last walk, make sure he seems alright, and go grab some coffee for all of us." 

"You sure you don't want one of us to stick around?" Scott questioned his mentor. The day had been pretty hectic already, after all. 

"We don't have any other appointments for another hour, I'm sure I'll be fine," Deaton assured the boy with smile. "Anyways, I have to get used to not having you two around all the time, anyways. You'll be going back to school soon. Now go." Deaton shooed the two out of the room, before he went back to washing his hands. 

"Alright, alright," Scott laughed. With a smile still on his face, he turned to Juliet, who was also laughing, which wasn't unusually because as far as he could tell, there had never been a moment in time when she wasn't happy. He swore she brightened a room with her smile, which had more power then any supernatural being he'd ever seen, and at this point that really meant something. 

Juliet looked over to Scott, and the teenage boy jumped a little when he realized he probably looked like he'd been staring at her. Which he had been, kind of, but it wasn't in the creepy way it might've came off as. 

Scott hurriedly cleared his throat, racking his brain for words. Any words would do, and yet suddenly the entirety of the English language had completely wiped away from his mind, all because he was worried that Juliet Knight was going to find him weird, which conveniently only made him seem weirder. Great, two weeks of becoming friends with this girl slowly going down the gutter. 

And not for the first time either. This kind of stuff seemed to be happening to Scott more and more whenever Juliet caught him off guard when she unconsciously stood close to him as Deaton showed them procedures and suddenly it'd be hard to concentrate on what Deaton was telling them. Or when she got all excited about the stories she'd tell him about her old job that it would give him second-hand excitement. Or even that one time she'd sneezed and it'd been the cutest damn thing Scott had ever seen that he'd forgotten what you were supposed to say when a person sneezes and accidentally said 'excuse me' instead of 'bless you'.