sixteen || cynosure

[ Wow it's been a very long minute since I posted, and I am extremely sorry for that! School is starting to wind down, soccer is starting to wind down as well, but that means bowling season is upon us. In other words I have been extremely busy, and although I warned you, I am deeply sorry for the delay on these chapters. I promise I will try to post more because I finally pieced together where I want this to go next, which was another reason as to why I haven't wrote in a while; had a minor case of writer's block! Hopefully I will be posting more, but I am NOT promising anything. Enjoy the chapter! ]

cynosure : a focal point of admiration

Since Antonio had graduated from military boot camp, the two of them talked every other day. It was nearing the end of the season, and Georgia had not told him or her family that she would not be home for the upcoming holidays. She knew they would be heartbroken, but she already was thinking about it.

She put the phone up to her ear as she laid in her bed, for they just had their final training session for the season. It rang a few times, and she wasn't surprised when her parents did not answer. The voicemail message cracked in broken English over the phone, for it was the same voicemail set up they created when they first moved to America. She heard the beep, then sighed.

"Hey ma, pa. Acabei de terminar com a minha sessão de treinamento final do ano, não começará de novo até janeiro. Um, é difícil para mim dizer isso, mas, eu não vou para casa para as férias. Eu ainda estou meio abatido, e eu não fiz o suficiente para o tempo de jogo, eu tenho que pagar para casa. Eu já sei que você vai sair para me levar para casa, mas eu já sei que você estará trabalhando o tempo todo e eu não quero ser um fardo. Então, eu amo vocês e espero conversar com você em breve. Tchau." She hung up the phone and set it next to her. If that phone call was not the hardest one she had to make, the one that was face to face with Antonio would be. He was back in training camps but would be allowed to head back to Portland for the holidays. He was allowed to have contact with his family and friends now, which made things a little easier. (Hey ma, pa. Just got done with my final training session of the year, won't be starting back up until January. Um, it's hard for me to say this but, I'm not coming home for the holidays. I'm still kind of settling down, and I haven't made enough off of the playing time I have to afford to fly home. I already know that you're going to off to fly me home, but I already know you're going to be working the entire time and I don't want to be a burden. So, um, I love you guys and hope to talk to you soon. Bye.)

Thanksgiving was in a few days, Christmas in less than a month after that. She could not wrap her head around the fact that she could not afford to go home for their offseason. She had no clue what she was going to do to pass the time: She had no friends outside the team members of Manchester City except for those back at home. Georgia was going to be alone for the holidays, and it would not have been the first time. 

She had spent a Christmas or two where her parents had gone last minute into work for the day or an unexpected vacation occurred where they left without even saying goodbye. Those were the Christmas's she would spend with Allison and her family, and they made her feel welcome every time she came over. 

A knock startled her as she jumped out of her daze, the sky outside starting to turn dark with a snowstorm coming to hit the United Kingdom. She shuddered as she rose from her comfortable position on the couch and sauntered towards the door, a heavy sigh escaping her lips as she unlocked it and swung it open, smiling when she saw Carli on the other side of the door.

"I thought you were heading home!" Georgia exclaimed, inviting her inside. Carli did so, closing the door behind her and hanging up her jacket that was laced with specs of snow that had started to fall outside.