eight || wabbit

wabbit : the sense of of being exhausted or unwell

Georgia sat on the gurney in the trauma bay beside Antonio, a thin sheet separating them from each other. He was awake now, which relieved her, but she was still shaken up and in shock from what had happened. A needle went in and out of her skin as the trauma resident stitched up the laceration that was down the side of her forehead.

"Well there's no sign of concussion from the CT scans, and if you play any contact sports, I'd suggest taking a few days off and letting yourself heal. After I'm done, come in to get your stitches out in a few days. Any nausea, dizziness, fatigue?" Dr. Andrews asked as she started to close the laceration.

"No ma'am." Georgia mumbled softly, her head resting against the back of the gurney.

"How did this all happen?" She had asked numerous times, trying to get her to talk, but Georgia could not find the words to string together to give Dr. Andrews an answer. 

"I, uh..." Georgia had started numerous times, but could not create the words to talk about the accident.

"Okay, it's okay." Dr. Andrews would respond as she sutured the side of her face. "Were you guys coming from prom?" She asked, trying to get her to lead into what had happened.

"Yes, we were." She responded, and as the resident thought, Georgia started to talk about what happened with ease. "He was driving, and we were going through a four way stop, but the guy that was coming from the right wasn't slowing down and Antonio sped up, but the car made us fishtail through the intersection. Oh my, is the guy who hit us okay?" She quickly explained, then asked, looking to Dr. Andrews with worried eyes as she finished the final stitch.

"He was highly intoxicated, and he's in surgery, but it wasn't looking to good. Would you like me to keep you updated?" She responded, and Georgia nodded in response. 

"Can I see my boyfriend yet?" She asked, sitting up on the gurney. Dr. Andrews pulled back the curtain to reveal Antonio laying in the same state as her with an oxygen mask on his face. He looked over at her and held out his hand, and she took it quickly.

"Do you have anyone we can call?" Dr. Andrews asked the both of them.

"Call my mother. She's the emergency contact in my phone, the password is 4925." Antonio responded as he took the mask off to give the instructions.

"Call my father, as well. Tell him I'm okay and Antonio's mom will take me home." Georgia added on quickly.

"Okay, I'll give them a call right away." She said, stepping away from the two of them with the phone in her hand. "Page me if there's any change." She ordered, and the nurses around them continued with their job. Georgia sat up on the gurney and stood, closing the gap between them and sitting on the edge of his gurney, tears in her eyes.

"Hey, I'm okay, we're okay." Antonio reassured, and she nodded, bringing his hand to her lips and pressing a light kiss against it, squeezing it tight before setting it on the bed, tracing circles in anxiousness.

"My father is going to kill you for getting in an accident, and so is Coach Carter." Georgia said as a joke, her eyes meeting his, then he started to laugh, wincing in pain. He had a few fractured ribs from the impact, but other than that he was okay, and she was relieved. 

"Considering the accident wasn't my fault, I think they'll let this one slide." He responded with a wink, causing a smile to form on her lips. A few moments of silence followed, the both of them sitting there waiting for Antonio's mother to come and get them.

"I'm really glad you're okay." Georgia stated, looking away from his gaze and to his hand in hers, and he gripped her hand tighter.

"And I'm really glad you're okay." He responded, and she looked up. Music played through the speakers softly, a slow eighties song starting to play. He sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stood up slowly.